1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poission Bracket of Angular Momentum

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Parts vii and viii of problem 2 of the attached file "hw5.pdf". It's too long and I'm too lazy to type it here.

2. Relevant equations
    A useful equality of Levi-Civita symbol:

[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{i'j'k}=\delta_{ii'}\delta_{jj'} - \delta_{ij'}\delta_{ji'}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the Poission brackets of those two expressions and none of them satisfies the definition of a rank two tensor given in the problem, although they are tensors according to the usual definition. The file "solutions5.pdf" contains the solution by the instructor or TAs. But I think the last equality of the proof of "fact 4" is incorrect: How can the following expression holds?

[itex]-\delta_{ji}f_k + \delta_{ki}f_j = \epsilon_{ijk}f_i[/itex]

If this is wrong, the solutions of parts vii and viii will be meaningless.

In quantum mechanics, scalars and vectors are defined using commutators [itex][L_i, V_j]=i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}V_k[/itex], exactly the same algebra as in our problem. But no one defines Cartesian tensors using commutators/Poission brackets. I think Cartesian rank-two tensors could not be defined by simply generalizing the definition of a vector like in this problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?