Poisson and Helmholtz equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an electric field source in the Helmholtz equation, as well as its application in the quasistatic and low frequency cases. The question of whether the Poisson's equation can be used with an electric field source and the reason for the Helmholtz equation not reducing to the Poisson's equation in the low frequency limit are also raised.
Sailaway
Hello guru's,

I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate an electric field source in the Helmholtz equation, and have been accumulating lots of question marks in my head. So in case of no static charge,

[tex]\nabla^{2} E - \mu (\epsilon\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}} + \sigma\frac{d}{dt}) E = 0
[/tex]

In the quasistatic case, I know many people use Poisson's,

[tex]\nabla \sigma \nabla (V - V^{p}) = 0[/tex]

with a voltage source [tex]V^{p}[/tex], or

[tex]\nabla \sigma (E - E^{p}) = 0[/tex]

Unfortunately my electric field is in hundreds of MHz range. So (1) can I use the following equation with source [tex]E^{p}[/tex], since the second term seems to be the "admittivity times electric field" term?

[tex]\nabla^{2} E - \mu (\epsilon\frac{d^{2}}{dt{2}} + \sigma\frac{d}{dt}) (E - E^{p}) = 0
[/tex]

(2) I wonder why in the low frequency limit the Helmholtz equation doesn't reduce to the Poisson's in the inhomogeneous media, since the [tex]\sigma[/tex] is in the spatial gradient in the Poisson equation. In my case the media is inhomogeneous. I did see some papers on scattering that used the Helmholtz equation in the inhomogeneous media, so that makes me wonder all the more.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry the Poisson's equation forms

[tex]\nabla \circ (\sigma \nabla (V - V^{p})) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \circ (\sigma (E - E^{p})) = 0[/tex]

1. What are Poisson and Helmholtz equations?

Poisson and Helmholtz equations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a given space.

2. What is the difference between Poisson and Helmholtz equations?

The Poisson equation describes the relationship between the electric field and the charge distribution in a given space, while the Helmholtz equation describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the current distribution in a given space.

3. What are some real-world applications of Poisson and Helmholtz equations?

Poisson and Helmholtz equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and geology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in various systems, such as electronic circuits, antennas, and geophysical surveys.

4. How are Poisson and Helmholtz equations solved?

There are several methods for solving Poisson and Helmholtz equations, including numerical methods, such as finite difference methods and finite element methods, and analytical methods, such as separation of variables and Green's functions.

5. What are the limitations of Poisson and Helmholtz equations?

Poisson and Helmholtz equations have limitations in their applicability, as they assume a linear relationship between the electric/magnetic field and the charge/current distribution. They also do not take into account certain physical phenomena, such as nonlinearity and dispersion.