1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson and Laplace's equation

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Poisson's equation and Laplace's equation to determine the scalar potential inside and outside a sphere of constant charge density po. Use Coulomb's law to give the limit at very large r, and an argument from symmetry to give the value of E at r=0.

2. Relevant equations
    del2V = - p/epsilono
    del2V = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure how to start this just using Poisson's/Laplace's equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is [itex]\nabla^2V[/itex] in spherical coordinates?...Are there any symmetries that allow you to simplify it?

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    Hmm okay. I'm not sure what symmetries you would need to consider to simplify [itex]\nabla^2V[/itex] in spherical coordinates. Because the charge density is constant, V does not depend on r inside the sphere...I'm not sure about anything else.

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What makes you think [itex]V[/itex] doesn't depend on [itex]r[/itex]?:confused:

Surely you can say that it doesn't depend on either the azimuthal or polar angles though right?....After all, a test charged placed at any given value of [itex]r[/itex], will "see" the same charge distribution at say [itex]\theta=\phi=\pi/4[/itex] as it would at say [itex]\theta=3\pi[/itex], [itex]\phi=\pi/7[/itex] or any other angle wouldn't it? (Draw a picture to convince yourself of this!)...This type of symmetry is called spherical symmetry.

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5
    Oops sorry, I meant to say that. Okay so using the simplified form of the equation for [itex]\nabla^2V[/itex] in spherical coordinates, and Poisson's equation, I was able to get the equation for V inside the sphere. For outside the sphere, the charge density is 0 obviously, so you have to use Laplace's equation. I tried to do this but I can't anywhere near the form of the equation I'm meant to be getting :frown:

7. Nov 12, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about you show me your steps (for both inside and outside) and I'll see if I can spot where you are going wrong...

8. Nov 12, 2009 #7
    Inside the sphere:
    [tex]\nabla^2V = \frac{1}{r}[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{dr}(r^2\frac{dV}{dr}) = \frac{\rho_{o}}{\epsilon_{o}}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow V = - \frac{\rho_{o} r^2}{6\epsilon_{o}}[/tex]

Outside the sphere:
    [tex]\nabla^2V = \frac{1}{r}[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{dr}(r^2\frac{dV}{dr}) = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow r^2\frac{dV}{dr} = constant = a[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow V = \frac{-a}{r} + c[/tex]
    I'm assuming that you now have to use some sort of boundary conditions...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  9. Nov 12, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're missing a minus sign in your first equation (although it looks like that's just a typo, since your answer has the correct sign)....More importantly, shouldn't you have two constants of integration for the solution to this 2nd order ODE?:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook