1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson and the integral of motion

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    • Missing homework template due to being originally posted in another forum.
    I am stuck on a proof. I need to show that if a Hamiltonian only depends on q1 and p1 though a function [itex]f(q_1,p_1)[/itex], that is; [tex]H(f(q_1, p_1), q_2, p_2, q_3, p_3, ... q_n, p_n)[/tex] then [tex]f(q_1, p_1)[/tex] is an integral of motion.

My attempt at a solution is as rather simplistic but I'm stuck making the final jump. Since the Hamiltonian is not directly a function of q1 and p1 it must commute;

[tex][q_1, H] = [p_1, H] = 0[/tex]

so q1 and p1 are integrals of motion. How do i then say that a function of those two variables is also an integral of motion, it feels intuitive but I cannot figure out how to write it down.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you tried simply computing the Poisson bracket between ##f## and ##H##?

4. Nov 23, 2014 #3
    I have now, thanks =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted