Poisson bracket

1. How can I work out

{π,φ}

where {,} is a Poisson Bracket; π is the canonical momentum and φ is the spacial derivative of the field (ie. not including the temporal one).

Basically the question boils down to (or atleast I think it does!), working out ∂(φ) /∂φ - ie. differentiating the spacial derivative φ wrt φ.

Stupid question - but how to do this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. You need to work out the commutator because {A,B} goes to [A,B](2pi/ih) in quantum mechanics.

I would expect the momentum operator would commute with the spacial derivative since in position space they are one and the same.

4. yes, that's what I would also think but if we have a term in a Hamiltonian which looks like this:

[tex]\int{d^3x[\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{space}\phi)^2}][/tex]

..after taking the PB (with the canonical momentum), it goes to:

[tex]\partial_i \partial^i \phi[/tex] (which shows that they can't commute!).

5. You lost me but I am no expert. Remember you are taking the commutator of the momentum operator with the derivative operator and not the derivative of the wave function.

6. This is QFT, not QM. φ here is the operator (not a wavefuntion, like in QM), as is the canonical momentum.

I am not sure if we can carry the QM result that the commutator is i times the PB over to QFT. I was thinking more along the lines that the PB is explicitly given by {A,B}=dA/dφ(x) *dB/dπ(y) - dB/dφ(y) *dA/dπ(x).

If we work it out this way, you'll see that the PB in question reduces to ∂φ/∂φ

7. I'm sorry, are you sure this is quantum mechanics ?

8. samalkhaiat

samalkhaiat 1,131
    Science Advisor

You know the fundamental Poisson bracket;

[tex]\{\pi(\vec{y}),\phi(\vec{x}) \} = \delta^{3}(x-y)[/tex]

Well, now differentiate both sides with respect to x.

sam

9. sam:

I am trying to work out {π,(φ)2}= 2{π,φ}φ

Why would differentiating the expression you wrote, give me the PB on the RHS of the above?

EDIT: I see what you#re suggesting - π is a function of y, so yes differentiating wrt x would give us the PB. How to differentiate the dirac delta function though?

I'm also thinking along these lines:

{π,(φ)2}= {π,(∂µφ∂µφ -∂t2φ)} = {π,∂µφ∂µφ}

Might it be easier to work of the PB on the RHS of the above expression? How?

Humanino: This isnt QM - It is Quantum Field Theory, where we promote fields themselves to operators.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  10. Everything you write is classical field theory, from my point of view. BTW, it's all very well explained by Susskind in a 2h or so lecture available freely, for instance if you're interested. It's an extremely important aspect of classical mechanics to be aware of before embarking on quantum field theory.
    NhNBW8a8-lI[/youtube]

11. Humanino, yes, sorry, ofcourse I am talking about classical field theory.

thanks for the video - the guy explains things really well!

Any thoughts on how I could work out {π,(φ)2}?

12. If you worked out [tex]\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\}[/tex] you should be able to work this one with
    [tex]\{f,g\}=-\{g,f\}[/tex]
    [tex]\{f_1f_2,g\}=f_1\{f_2,g\}+f_2\{f_1,g\}[/tex]
    As in
    [tex]\{\Pi,\left(\underline{\partial}\phi\right)^2\} = \{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\underline{\partial}\phi\} = \underline{\partial}\phi\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\} + \underline{\partial}\phi\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\} = 2 \underline{\partial}\phi\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\}[/tex]

How about the result of [tex]\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\}[/tex] ? It seems to me there are several ways. I have been wondering, was the previous question about [tex]\{\Pi,\phi\}[/tex] by any chance ?
    [tex]\{\Pi,\phi\}=\delta[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  13. Yes, I get this.

This is where I am stuck.

Because we're dealing with the Hamiltonian density, we have to work out the integral:

[tex]\int d^3x. 2 \underline{\partial}\phi\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\}[/tex]

If we use the result:

[tex]
    \{\pi(\vec{y}),\phi(\vec{x}) \} = \delta(x-y)
    [/tex]

..and pull the partial spacial derivative out of the PB to get:

[tex]\{\Pi,\underline{\partial}\phi\}= \underline{\partial}\{\Pi,\phi\}[/tex] and intergrate, we find:

[tex]\int d^3x. 2 \underline{\partial}\phi(\underline{x})\underline{\partial}\{\Pi(\underline{y}),\phi(\underline{x})\}=\int d^3x. 2 \underline{\partial}\phi(\underline{x})\underline{\partial}\delta^3(\underline{x}-\underline{y})[/tex]

So the question really is, how to work out the above integral on the RHS?

14. samalkhaiat

samalkhaiat 1,131
    Science Advisor

[tex]
    \{\pi(y) . (\nabla \phi(x))^{2}\} = -2 \nabla \phi(x) . \nabla_{x} \delta^{3}(y-x)
    [/tex]

Are you ok with this?*

Now integrate both sides over x and do integration by parts on the right hand side, you will get

[tex]\{\pi(y) , (1/2) \int d^{3}x (\nabla \phi)^{2} \} = \int d^{3}x \nabla^{2}\phi(x) \delta^{3}(y-x) = \nabla^{2}\phi(y)
    [/tex]

Is this what you wanted?

sam

*Edit we have adifferent sign because we started with a wrong sign for [itex]\{\pi (y), \phi(x)\}[/itex]. this should have been [itex] -\delta^{3}(y-x)[/itex].

15. samalkhaiat

samalkhaiat 1,131
    Science Advisor

No this is wrong! the poisson bracket [itex]\{\pi, \partial_{t}\phi\}[/itex] is not zero! The field "velocity" [itex]\partial_{t}\phi[/itex] is a function of [itex]\pi , \nabla \phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]

sam

16. yes, I see what you have done. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?