1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson brackets for simple harmonic oscillator

1. Jun 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Considering the Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator:

[itex]H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{mw^2}{2}q^2[/itex]

We have seen that the equations of motion are significantly simplified using the canonical transformation defined by [itex]F_1(q,Q)=\frac{m}{2}wq^2cot(Q)[/itex]

Show explicitly that between both coordinates, the following identities are satisfied

1) [itex][q,p]_{qp}=[Q,P]_{QP}[/itex]
    2) [itex][q,p]_{QP}=[q,p]_{QP}[/itex]
    3) [itex][Q,P]_{qp}=[Q,P]_{QP}[/itex]

where [ ] denote Poisson Brackets

2. Relevant equations

This is a well known Hamiltonian frequently used to introduce canonical transformations in many books (e.g. Goldstein 378). Given the generating function presented above, we find the following expresions for the new coordinates:

[itex]p=\sqrt{2Pmw}cos(Q)[/itex]
    [itex]q=\sqrt{\frac{2P}{mw}}sin(Q)[/itex]

Also, from the definition of Poisson Brackets,
    [itex][u,v]_{qp}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{q}}\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{p}}-\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{p}}\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{q}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, by definition,

[itex][q,p]_{qp}=1=[Q,P]_{QP}[/itex]

Also, using the expressions for p and q presented above, we have

[itex][q,p]_{QP}=cos^2(Q)+sin^2(Q)=1=[q,p]_{qp}[/itex]

Am I missing some fundamental formalism in here? I'm far from confident about this topic, so I'm not sure I followed the right procedure.

Also, for 3) I was thinking about obtaining expressions for Q and P straight from the presented expressions for p and q, and then just apply the same principle. What do you think about this?

Thanks for your help and time! :smile:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?