1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson distribution, likelihood ratios

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An independent, identically distributed sample, x = (x1, ... , xn) of size n, is drawn from a Poisson distribution, parameter A. We want to test the null hypothesis H0 : A = A1 against the alternative hypothesis H1 : A = A2 where A1 < A2.

Write down the likelihood ratio for the data, and show that all likelihood ratio tests of H0 against H1 are of the form: - Reject H0 if the sum from one to n of xi > c.

2. Relevant equations

LR(x) = f1(x)/f2(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

f0(xi) = (e^(-A1)*A1^xi) / xi!

f1(xi) = (e^(-A2)*A2^xi) / xi!

Then I'm not sure if this is right but I thought each f(x) is equal to the product of its f(xi)

so I have f0(x) = (e^(-A1)*A1^(sum of xi's from 1 to n)) / x1! ... xn!

Sorry don't know if I can put it sigma signs but don't know how and then obviously f1(x) is the same but with A2 instead.

So that gave me after some simplifying

LR(x) = e^(A1 - A2)*(A2/A1)^(sum of xi's)

Now I'm not sure if this is quite right or if I can simplify it further? Any help is much appreciated, thankyou.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?