1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson distribution problem

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We assume that the number of structural flaws on a long wire have obey Poisson distribution law. On average we find 1 flaw every 5 meters.

a) What is the probability that a 20 m long section will have maximum 2 flaws?
    b) We slice the wire into 1 m long sections. What is the probability that 3 or less sections (out of 10) have one flaw or more?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) $$P=e^{-0.2\cdot 20}(1+0.2\cdot 20+\frac{(0.2\cdot 20)^2}{2})=0.238$$
    b) Probability that there is NO mistake on a 1m long section is $$P=1-e^{-0.2}=0.18$$ now using Binomial distribution the probability should be $$P=1-\sum _{i=0}\binom{10}{i}(1-0.18)^i0.18^{10-i}$$ yet the results I have say that $$P=1-\sum _{i=0}\binom{10}{i}0.18^{i}(1-0.18)^{10-i}.$$

I personally disagree with that "official" result but would like to hear your opinion...!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2
    Ah, forget it.

b) The probability 0.18 applies to that there is at least one (or more) flaw on a 1 m section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted