1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson Distribution

1. May 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A source of liquid is known to contain bacteria, with the mean number of bacteria per cubic centimeter equal to 3. Ten 1 c.c. test tubes are filled with liquid. Calculate the probability that all 10 test tubes will show growth, that is contain at least 1 bacterium each. (use Poisson distribution)

2. Relevant equations
    P(r)=(e-m*mr)/r!

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taking m=3;
    N=10 (not used)
    P(1)+P(2)+P(3)=0.5974

Answer provided is 0.600, is my solution correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. The probability of at least 1 bacterium in a test tube is P(1) + P(2) + P(3) + P(4) + P(5) + ... Why did you stop at 3 bacteria?

The probability I showed is equal to 1 - P(0), which is about .9502. This is the probability of finding 1 or more bacteria in one test tube. Now, how do you get the probability of finding 1 or more bacteria in all 10 test tubes?

The answer I got was .6001, rounded to 4 decimal places.

4. May 5, 2009 #3
    Taking p=0.9502 as a success, n=10 for binomial distribution:
    P=10C10*p10*q0
    P=0.600.

Is this correct?

5. May 5, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

6. May 5, 2009 #5
    Thanks.

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6
    I'm working on a similar problem. Can someone tell me where this equation came from? What's c and q (and what do those 2 10's next to the c mean)?

8. Jun 15, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

C stands for combinations. The first expression in this binomial probability is 10C10, which is the number of combinations of 10 things taken 10 at a time, which turns out to be 1. p is a probability of something happening (you didn't give any context here, so I can't say anything more) and q is the probability of something not happening, which means that q = 1 - p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook