1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson equation general solution

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that [tex]\nabla[/tex]2 1/r = -4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex]3(r)

show that the solution to the Poisson equation [tex]\nabla[/tex]2[tex]\Phi[/tex] = -([tex]\rho[/tex](r)/[tex]\epsilon[/tex])

can be written:

[tex]\Phi[/tex](r) = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) [tex]\int[/tex] d3r' ([tex]\rho[/tex](r') / |r - r'|)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the Poisson equation is kind of like a partial differential equation. I rearranged it to [tex]\Phi[/tex]rr(r2) + [tex]\Phi[/tex]r(2r) = [-[tex]\rho[/tex](r) * r2 ] / [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

But that wasn't very helpful

Then I also realized that the equations for electric potential is a solution to this... but that is only a special case. Also, is gravitational potential also a solution, or no?

How do you solve this type of equation? What does the 'given': [tex]\nabla[/tex]2 1/r = -4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex]3(r)
    even tell me? I am very lost. I read up about Poisson equations and I think the 'given' is like a boundary case... but I don't know how you incorporate the boundary case of a Poisson equation into a solution.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just take the Laplacian of the proposed solution (Remember, you don't actually have to solve Poisson's equation to show that something is a solution of it)...what do you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook