Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition - MatlaB

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary condition in MATLAB. The equation and boundary conditions for a rectangular domain are provided, along with the values for various parameters. The code provided is incomplete and needs to be fixed, specifically the implementation of the boundary conditions.
pinks
Hi guys,
I'm solving a Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary condition. But I have trouBle with that mixed BC in MATLAB. Anyone can help to fix? Thanks a lot!

dT^2/dx^2+dT/dy^2=-Q(x,y)/k

Rectangular domain (HxL), BC: Top: T(x,H)=Th, Left: dT/dx=0, Bottom: dT/dy=q, Right: dT/dx+B(T-Tinf)=0

Q(x,y) = 200*sin((2*pi/L)*x) + 175*sin((2*pi/H)*y)

nx ny L H q B k Th Tinf
20 30 2 3 -25 1 1 100 50

Coding: I tried 3 ways to define the mixed BC But it doesn't work.

Nx=20; %input('value of Nx:')
Ny=30; %input('value of Ny:')
L=2; %input('value of L:') %input initial value of Nx,Ny,L,H,Q,q,B
H=3; %input('value of H:')
q=-25; %input('value of q:')
B=1; %input('value of B:')
k=1; %input('value of k:')
Th=100; %input('value of Th:')
Tinf=50; %input('value of Tinf:')

err=1; tol=0.0001; iter=0; itmax=5000; %set initial error, tolerance, iteration limitation.
T=zeros(Nx+1,Ny+1);
T(:,Ny+1)=Th; % BOUNDARY CONDITION FOR TOP EDGE
dx=L/Nx; dy=H/Ny;
beta=(dx^2)/(dy^2);
x=0:dx:L;
y=0:dy:H;
Q=zeros(Nx+1,Ny+1);
for k=1:Nx+1
for l=1:Ny+1
Q(k,l)=200*sin((2*pi/L)*x(k)) + 175*sin((2*pi/H)*y(l));
end
end

while (err > tol)
iter=iter+1;
Told=T;
for i=1:Nx,j=1:Ny;
if i==Nx+1 ;
%---Tried 3 ways below but it doesn't work-----
%T(i,j) = (dx^2*Q(i,j)/k+(T(i-1,j)-2*dx*B*(T(i,j)-Tinf))+T(im1,j)+beta*T(i,jp1)+beta*T(i,jm1))/(2+2*beta);
%T(i,j) = (dx^2*Q(i,j)/k+2*T(i-1,j)+2*dx*B*Tinf+beta*T(i,jp1)+beta*T(i,jm1))/(2+2*beta+dx*B);
%T(i+1,j)=T(i-1,j)-2*dx*B*(T(i,j)-Tinf);

else ip1=i+1;
end
if i==1;
im1=2; % dT/dx=0 at left edge
else im1=i-1;
end
for j=1:Ny;
jp1=j+1;
if j==1;
jm1=2;
T(i,j) = (dx^2*Q(i,j)/k+ T(ip1,j)+T(im1,j)+beta*T(i,jp1)+beta*(T(i,jm1)-2*q*dy))/(2+2*beta);
else jm1=j-1;
end
T(i,j) = (dx^2*Q(i,j)/k+ T(ip1,j)+T(im1,j)+beta*T(i,jp1)+beta*T(i,jm1))/(2+2*beta);
%value of T we get from the equation
end
end
err=max(max(T-Told))/max(max(T));
if iter > itmax, break, end
end
Unu_Iterative=T';
[xp,yp]=meshgrid(x,y);
subplot(2,1,1);
surf(xp,yp,T')
subplot(2,1,2);
contour(x,y,T',20)

Physics news on Phys.org
The code you have written is incomplete and needs to be fixed. The boundary condition for the right boundary should be implemented in your code. Also, the boundary condition for the bottom boundary is not correctly implemented. The boundary condition should be implemented as follows: T(i,j) = (dx^2*Q(i,j)/k + T(ip1,j)+T(im1,j)+beta*T(i,jp1) + beta*(T(i,jm1) - 2*q*dy))/(2+2*beta); T(Nx+1,j) = (dx^2*Q(Nx+1,j)/k + 2*T(Nx,j) + 2*dx*B*Tinf + beta*T(i,jp1) + beta*T(i,jm1))/(2+2*beta + dx*B);

1. What is the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition in MATLAB?

The Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition in MATLAB is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a scalar function and its sources or sinks in a given region. It is a partial differential equation that is commonly used in physics and engineering, and can be solved using MATLAB's built-in functions and tools.

2. How does the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition differ from the standard Poisson Equation?

The standard Poisson Equation has homogeneous boundary conditions, meaning that the boundary values of the solution are equal to a constant value. In contrast, the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition has non-homogeneous boundary conditions, where the boundary values of the solution are a function of the boundary itself. This allows for more complex and realistic modeling of physical systems.

3. What are the applications of the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition in MATLAB?

The Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition has a wide range of applications in various fields such as electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and structural mechanics. It is also used in image processing, computer graphics, and other areas where solving for a scalar function is necessary.

4. What are the steps for solving the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition in MATLAB?

The steps for solving the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition in MATLAB are:
1. Define the domain and boundary conditions.
2. Discretize the domain using a grid or mesh.
3. Set up the coefficients and the right-hand side of the equation.
4. Solve the resulting linear system using MATLAB's matrix operations.
5. Plot and analyze the results.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition in MATLAB?

While MATLAB is a powerful tool for solving partial differential equations, there are some limitations to consider when using it to solve the Poisson Equation with Mixed Boundary Condition. These include the complexity of the boundary conditions, the size of the domain, and the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, the computational time and memory required may increase for larger and more complex problems.