1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson probability

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    Suppose that a system is such that in a time dt, the probability that an event A occurs, given that it has not already happened, is given by:
    P(t,t+dt) = w(t) * dt

The solution for the probability that A has occured at a time t is something like:

P(t) = 1 - exp(∫0tw('t)dt')

Now suppose that w(t) is changing due to some function x such that really w(t) = w(x(t)). How do I find the probability P(x) that the event A has occured as a function of x?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The chain rule (or substitution for integrals):
    [tex]\int w(t')dt'= \int w(x(t'))\left(\frac{dt'}{dx}\right)\left(\frac{dx}{dt'}\right) dt'= \int w(x)\left(\frac{dt'}{dx}\right)dx= \int_{x(0)}^{x(t)} \frac{w(x)}{\frac{dx}{dt'}}dx[/tex]

4. Jun 1, 2014 #3
    But doesn't that still give me P(t) when I carry out the integration? My problem is that I have 3 different x1(t), x2(t), x3(t) and I want P(xi) for each of these so I can see when the probability in each case becomes significant. So in the above formula when I plug in x(t) in the end I still get something which is controlled by t. Where am I confusing myself?
    I also find it weird that if w(x) is an increasing function then the probability P(x) takes longer to reach a significant value when dx/dt is large. Intuitively I would think that if x(t) is driven to large values faster such that w(x) gets larger faster then the probability P(x) should do the same. Where am I wrong?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. Jun 1, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I read it, you have three "curves ##x_1(t), x_2(t), x_3(t)## and for each of them you have a (non-homogeneous) Poisson process with rate ##r_i(t) = w[x_i(t)]##. That will give you three different "counting processes" ##N_1(t), N_2(t), N_3(t)## with
    [tex] P\{ N_i(t) = n \} = \frac{m_i(t)^n \, e^{-m_i(t)}}{n!}, \, n = 0,1,2,\ldots [/tex]
    and where
    [tex] m_i(t) = \int_0^t w[x_i(\tau)] \, d \tau , i = 1,2,3. [/tex]
    That seems to be what you are saying; if it is not, you need to clarify what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted