1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson Problem - Gravitation

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    If I have an infinite slab of incompressible self-gravitating fluid of density rho within the region |z|<a, and I am asked to find the potential both inside and outside the slab, where should I start?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With writing the (differential) equations which account for the dynamics...??

Daniel.

4. Feb 11, 2005 #3
    Do you mean by "potential" the gravitational potential and by "rho" the mass density?

5. Feb 11, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure he does.

Daniel.

6. Feb 11, 2005 #5
    A very fast solution to this problem can be obtained using a Gauss-like law for the gravitational field (it can be demostrated by direct integration of the Poisson equation and using the divergence theorem). The "gravitational flux" through a closed surface must equal the total mass inside the surface times gravitational constant.
    [tex]\oint_S \vec{\Gamma}\cdot d\vec{S}=-\gamma \int \rho dv [/tex]
    Then, if you know [tex]\Gamma(z)[/tex], the potential is just
    [tex]V=-\int \Gamma dz[/tex]
    (for the integration constant you can impose V(0)=0)
    You can choose a cylindrical gaussian surface with its axis parallel to Oz and play with this theorem. For this cylinder, the total flux is [tex]2\Gamma S[/tex] (S is basis area)

I think [tex]\Gamma[/tex] will vary linearly from z=0 to z=a and would be uniform for z>a. So the potential will be quadratic and linear respectively.....but you must verify that.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  7. Feb 11, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your analysis would be okay,if the "infinite slab of incompressible self-gravitating fluid of density rho" would not mean what i think it does:namely a fluid to which u have to apply not only the Poisson equation (for a gravitostatic field),but also Euler's equations and the continuity of mass (for an incompressible fluid).You'd have then 5 equations with 5 unknowns:the gravity potential,the velocity field and the density field...
    It would be really nasty,indeed.

Daniel.

8. Feb 14, 2005 #7
    Thanks Clive. But wouldn't using Gauss Law introduce a factor of 4*Pi? The answers have no 4*Pi in it. And do I have to consider also the pressure and the boundary condition?

By the way, here's the answers provided:
    Code (Text):
    V = (1/2)G rho (z)^2             |z|<a
                 = G rho a (|z| - (1/2)a)     |z|>a

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?