What is the Error in My Approach to the Poisson Process Problem?

In summary: So, your approach was almost perfect, but you just forgot to include the case where the particle is not detected at all. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck! In summary, the distribution of time, T, until the first particle is detected in a Poisson Process with rate \lambda and detection probability p is p e^{-\lambda p t}. The error in the approach was not accounting for the case where the particle is not detected at all, resulting in an incorrect expression.
rsq_a
I'm a bit frustrated with this one...

Let [itex](X_t)_{t\geq 0}[/itex] be a Poisson Process with rate [itex]\lambda[/itex]

Each time an 'arrival' happens, a counter detects the arrival with probability [itex]p[/itex] and misses it with probability [itex]1-p[/itex]. What is the distribution of time, [itex]T[/itex] until the first particle is detected?

I thought I could do it like this:

[tex]P(T = t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty P(T = t | X_t = n) P(X_t = n) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty (1-p)^{n-1}p \frac{e^{-\lambda t}(\lambda t)^n}{n!}[/tex]

Unfortunately, this does give me the right answer (T should be Exponentially distributed with parameter [itex]\lambda p[/itex]). I've stared at my process, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with it!

Can someone point out the error in my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration with this problem. It's always frustrating when we think we have a solution, but it turns out to be incorrect. Let's take a closer look at your approach and see if we can find the error.

First, let's define T as the time until the first particle is detected. This means that T can take on values of 0, 1, 2, 3, ... (since the Poisson process has a countable number of arrivals). Therefore, we can rewrite your equation as follows:

P(T = t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty P(T = t | X_t = n) P(X_t = n) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty (1-p)^{n-1}p \frac{e^{-\lambda t}(\lambda t)^n}{n!} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty (1-p)^{n-1}p e^{-\lambda t} \frac{(\lambda t)^n}{n!}

Now, let's take a closer look at the term (1-p)^{n-1}p. This term represents the probability that the particle is detected on the first arrival (n=1), but not on any of the subsequent arrivals (n-1). However, this does not take into account the possibility that the particle is not detected at all. In other words, this term only considers the cases where T = 0 or T = 1. But we know that T can take on values of 0, 1, 2, 3, ... Therefore, we need to include the case where the particle is not detected at all, which has a probability of (1-p)^0 = 1. This means that the correct expression should be:

P(T = t) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (1-p)^{n}p e^{-\lambda t} \frac{(\lambda t)^n}{n!}

Now, let's simplify this expression:

P(T = t) = p e^{-\lambda t} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(\lambda t)^n}{n!} (1-p)^{n} = p e^{-\lambda t} e^{\lambda t (1-p)} = p e^{-\lambda p t}

And this

What is a Poisson process?

A Poisson process is a mathematical model used to describe the occurrence of random events over a period of time, where the events happen independently and at a constant average rate.

What are the key characteristics of a Poisson process?

The key characteristics of a Poisson process include: the events occur independently of each other, the average rate of events is constant, and the occurrence of an event does not affect the probability of another event happening.

How is a Poisson process different from a normal distribution?

A Poisson process is different from a normal distribution because it models events that occur over time, while a normal distribution models continuous variables. Additionally, a Poisson process assumes that the number of events is discrete and can only take on non-negative integer values, while a normal distribution can take on any real value.

What are some real-world applications of a Poisson process?

A Poisson process can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as the number of customers arriving at a store, the number of calls received by a call center, or the number of accidents occurring on a highway. It is also frequently used in the fields of finance, biology, and physics to model random events.

What is the Poisson distribution and how is it related to a Poisson process?

The Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of a certain number of events occurring within a given time period, given a known average rate of events. It is closely related to a Poisson process in that it can be used to calculate the probability of a certain number of events occurring in a given time period based on the characteristics of the Poisson process.