Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson vs binomial process

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    I might need you guys to help me see how this proces, will be distributed:

Suppose we have a large amount of elements N(≈1012). I'm simulating a system where I for each iteration damage a random element. If an element gets damaged its damagecounter goes up 1.
    So say I pick element number 100123 on the first iteration. Its damagecounter will now count +1 whilst the damagecounters of the other elements in the system will be 0.

I want to write an expression for the probability that a specific element acquires k damages in t iterations. Here are my steps in deriving an expression:

1) The probability for a specific element to get damaged must be 1/N.

2) Thus the probability that a specific element gets k damages after t iterations must be:

p(x=k) = K(t,k) * (1/N)k * (1-1/N)t-k

where K(t,k) denotes the binomial coefficient.

Now, I want to find the total probability for an element to have acquired k damages during our t iterations. Thus I multiply by N and end up with:

p(x=k) = N * K(t,k) * (1/N)k * (1-1/N)t-k

Now first of all, I want to know: Would this expression be correct or am I making any mistakes/illegal assumptions in the derivation?

Second, my model appears to follow a poisson distribution, when I plot the amount of elements with damage 1->10 versus time. Does that fit with this theory? I can't quite see if that is a good thing or not?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won't comment on your derivation.

However, in general, Poisson distribution is a good approximation for the binomial for large N and Np fixed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook