1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poissons equation for plasma

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    Hello,

In my plasma physics book, poissons equation in relation to a plasma made up of electrons and protons is given as

[tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r^{2}\frac{d\varphi\left(r\right)}{dr}\right) = \frac{2}{\lambda_{D}}\varphi\left(r\right)[/tex]

The solution of this equation when phi(r) tends to 0 for r tending to infinity is

[tex]\varphi\left(r\right) = \frac{e}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}exp\left(-\frac{\sqrt{2}r}{\lambda_{D}}\right)[/tex]

How do you get to this solution? I have tried multiplyin both sides by r^2, then integrating w.r.t. r, by parts, but I cannot get any further than that.

Regards,

Peter

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplest thing to do would be to substitute using:

[tex]R(r) = r \varphi (r)[/tex]

Then you can rewrite it as:

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr} \left( r^2 \frac{d \varphi}{dr} \right) = \frac{2}{\lambda_d}R[/tex]

You can continue from here by performing the chain rule to place the left hand side in terms of [tex]R[/tex].

EDIT: Nevermind, I made a mistake earlier on, fixed now. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. May 18, 2009 #3
    I have now got a homogeneous 2nd order differential equation and from that an auxillary equation, which is beginning to take the form of the answer. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook