1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poissons Equation Problem

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First part of the question is to obtain a fourier series of the function f(theta)= 1 0=<theta<pi
    -1 pi=<theta<2pi
    Then to find the solution of Poissons equation inside the unit disk r=<1
    ∇^2(P) = (1/r)d/dr(r(dP/dr))+ (1/r^2)d^2P/d^theta = f(theta) with Boundary Condition that when r=1, P=0. Given HINT that general solution of (r^2)R'' + rR' -(n^2)R = r^2 is R= a(r^n) + b(r^-n) - (r^2)/(n^2-4)

Then required to show that the integral of f(theta)*P dA =
    (-4/pi) sum over n odd (1/(n^2)((n+2)^2))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have got the Fourier series correct as f = sum over n odd ((4/n*pi)sin(n*theta))

I have then tried seperation of variables letting P=R(r)THETA(theta), and got
    R''(THETA) + (1/r)R'(THETA) + (1/r^2)R(THETA)'' = f(theta)

and then said as r=1 when P=0, R(r)=0 at r=1, so THETA''=f(theta) and so by integrating, THETA = (-1/n^2)THETA'', which can be subbed back in to get the form for the HINT. This means I can construct P =R(r)THETA(theta) but then when I go ahead and integrate this, I a) cannot get rid of the a_n, b_n that occur from summing the HINT, as only one BC
    b) cannot get t the right form for the final integral, but I do have a lot of powers of n, n-2, n+2 so feel I am on the right sort of lines.

Sorry this is so messy, any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?