Poisson's equation to find V

• Thread starter E&M
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement suggests that potential energy in between two plates is found using Poisson's equation and that charge densities between the plates exist.
E&M

Homework Statement

Two infinite parallel plates separated by a distance s are at potential 0 and V_0
a) Use Poisson's eqn to find potential V in the region between the plates where the space charge density is rho = rho_0(x/s). The distance x is measured from the plate at 0 potential.
b)What are the charge densities in the plate?

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^2{}[/tex] V = - rho/ epsilon_0

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I started with number of ways but none of them seem to be working. What will be V in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show me what you've tried?

V will be in only x direction and it won't be in y and z direction. double partial derivative of V along x will be equal to -rho/epsilon_0. I was thinking of using differential equation but I am not sure.

You will need to use a differential equation. Luckily if V is only a function of x, then

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2V}{\partial x^2}=\frac{d^2V}{dx^2}[/tex]

And so you will have an ordinary differential equation instead of a partial differential equation.

Give integrating it a shot and show me what you get.

i got V = -(rho_0 * x^3)/(s* epsilon_0*6) and for charge densities I got rho = 0 at the plate with V = 0 and rho = rho_0 for the plate with V = V_0. does this look right?

Your V looks close, but there is a small error. On your first integration, you must include an integration constant:

[tex]\frac{d^2V(x)}{dx^2}=\frac{-\rho_0x}{s \epsilon _0} \Rightarrow \int_{x'=0}^{x'=x} \frac{d^2V(x')}{dx'^2} dx'= \int_0^x \frac{-\rho_0x'}{s \epsilon _0}dx'[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow V'(x)-V'(0)=\frac{-\rho_0x^2}{2s \epsilon _0} \Rightarrow V'(x)=\frac{dV(x)}{dx}=\frac{-\rho_0x^2}{2s \epsilon _0}+C[/tex]

where [itex]C=V'(0)[/itex] is the constant of integration

What do you get for V(x) when you don't forget the constant?

What is Poisson's equation used for?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical tool used to find the value of a potential function, V, given a known source distribution in a given region. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving electric fields, gravitational fields, and other physical phenomena.

What is the mathematical form of Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is written as ∇²V = -ρ, where ∇² is the Laplace operator, V is the potential function, and ρ is the source density.

What are the boundary conditions for Poisson's equation?

The boundary conditions for Poisson's equation vary depending on the specific problem being solved. In general, they specify the values of the potential function at the boundaries of the region in which the equation is being solved. These boundary conditions are essential in determining a unique solution for the equation.

Can Poisson's equation be solved analytically?

In some cases, Poisson's equation can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be found. However, in many real-world applications, the equation is too complex to be solved analytically, and numerical methods must be used to approximate a solution.

What are some common methods for solving Poisson's equation?

Some common methods for solving Poisson's equation include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and boundary element methods. These methods involve discretizing the problem into smaller, solvable parts and then using numerical techniques to approximate a solution for the entire problem.