1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson's equation to find V

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1

E&M

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two infinite parallel plates separated by a distance s are at potential 0 and V_0
    a) Use Poisson's eqn to find potential V in the region between the plates where the space charge density is rho = rho_0(x/s). The distance x is measured from the plate at 0 potential.
    b)What are the charge densities in the plate?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^2{}[/tex] V = - rho/ epsilon_0

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, I started with number of ways but none of them seem to be working. What will be V in this case?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you show me what you've tried?

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

E&M

V will be in only x direction and it won't be in y and z direction. double partial derivative of V along x will be equal to -rho/epsilon_0. I was thinking of using differential equation but I am not sure.

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You will need to use a differential equation. Luckily if V is only a function of x, then

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2V}{\partial x^2}=\frac{d^2V}{dx^2}[/tex]

And so you will have an ordinary differential equation instead of a partial differential equation.

Give integrating it a shot and show me what you get.

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

E&M

i got V = -(rho_0 * x^3)/(s* epsilon_0*6) and for charge densities I got rho = 0 at the plate with V = 0 and rho = rho_0 for the plate with V = V_0. does this look right?

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your V looks close, but there is a small error. On your first integration, you must include an integration constant:

[tex]\frac{d^2V(x)}{dx^2}=\frac{-\rho_0x}{s \epsilon _0} \Rightarrow \int_{x'=0}^{x'=x} \frac{d^2V(x')}{dx'^2} dx'= \int_0^x \frac{-\rho_0x'}{s \epsilon _0}dx'[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow V'(x)-V'(0)=\frac{-\rho_0x^2}{2s \epsilon _0} \Rightarrow V'(x)=\frac{dV(x)}{dx}=\frac{-\rho_0x^2}{2s \epsilon _0}+C[/tex]

where [itex]C=V'(0)[/itex] is the constant of integration

What do you get for V(x) when you don't forget the constant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?