1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poissons Equation

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So poissons equation takes the for uxx + uyy = f(x,y)
    Laplace is where f(x,y). What does the f(x,y) physically represent?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    Laplace equation is when f(x,y)=0. f(x,y) can represent many things physically. the solution of this problem can represent many things for example u could be a steady state temperature of the cross section of a rod with an electrical current.

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you wrote does not make sense to me, but the question got throught nonetheless.

In Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism, the electromagnetic field is governed by a set of 4 equations and one of them is Poisson's equation where u is the electric field in space-time (x,y,z,t) and f(x,y,z,t) is an expression taking into account the density of charge and the rate of change of the magnetic field at the point (x,y,z,t) in space-time.

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    But what is f actually doing to this cross section?

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    And when f = 0 ? What does it mean in this case?

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well it means that this particular Maxwell's equation ([tex]\nabla^2\vec{E}=0[/tex]) is describing the evolution of the electric field in a region where there are no electric charges and where the magnetic field is constant.

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7
    So say one is concerned with the heat distribution among a metal plate, what would f mean and what would f = 0 mean?

9. Apr 14, 2008 #8
    Maybe I should have written this in the undergraduate physics forum.

10. Apr 14, 2008 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can ask a mentor to move it.

11. Apr 14, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I hate to keep saying this but mathematics is not physics! Quantities in a mathematical equation do NOT have any "physical" meaning and do not "physically represent" anything until you apply them to a specific physics problem.

(I guess I am like an ex-smoker. I started majoring in physics, then switched my major to mathematics, though staying in applied math (My doctoral disertation was on computing Clebsch-Gordon Coefficients in general SU(n)) but have steadily moved to more abstract mathematics since.)

That said, if you have [itex]\nabla \phi= \kappa \partial \phi/\partial t+ f(x,y,t)[/itex] specifically applied to heat distribution on a plate, then f(x,y,z) might represent an external heat source applied to every point of the plate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?