Poisson's Identity: Solving ((φλ)χ)+((λχ)φ)+((χφ)λ)=0

• Thread starter aggarwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, Poisson's Identity is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between partial derivatives of three variables. It is commonly used in mathematical analyses involving partial differential equations and can help to simplify and solve complex equations. The equation must first be written in a specific form and then the partial derivatives are substituted in to find the solution. However, Poisson's Identity can only be applied to equations with three variables and has various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
aggarwal
please help me to solve this identity

[tex]((\phi\lambda)\chi)+((\lambda\chi)\phi)+((\chi\phi)\lambda)=0[/tex]

where () = poisson bracket

[tex]\phi=\phi(t,q_{i},p_{i})[/tex]
[tex]\chi=\chi(t,q_{i},p_{i})[/tex]
[tex]\lambda=\lambda(t,q_{i},p_{i})[/tex]
for i=1,2,...,n

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very lengthy proof. For the beginning what is [itex] \left [\phi,\lambda]_{PB} [/itex] eual to ?

To solve this identity, we can use the properties of the Poisson bracket and the Jacobi identity. Firstly, we can expand each term in the identity using the definition of the Poisson bracket:

((\phi\lambda)\chi) = \phi\lambda\chi + \lambda\phi\chi

((\lambda\chi)\phi) = \lambda\chi\phi + \chi\lambda\phi

((\chi\phi)\lambda) = \chi\phi\lambda + \phi\chi\lambda

Next, we can use the Jacobi identity which states that for any three functions f,g,h:

[f,[g,h]] + [g,[h,f]] + [h,[f,g]] = 0

Applying this to our identity, we get:

((\phi\lambda)\chi) + ((\lambda\chi)\phi) + ((\chi\phi)\lambda) = [\phi,\lambda\chi] + [\lambda,\chi\phi] + [\chi,\phi\lambda]

Using the properties of the Poisson bracket, we can rewrite this as:

[\phi,\lambda]\chi + \lambda[\phi,\chi] + \chi[\phi,\lambda] + [\lambda,\chi]\phi + \chi[\lambda,\phi] + \phi[\lambda,\chi] = 0

Since the Poisson bracket is bilinear and satisfies the Leibniz rule, we can further simplify this to:

[\phi,\lambda]\chi + \lambda[\phi,\chi] + \chi[\phi,\lambda] = 0

Finally, we can use the fact that the Poisson bracket is anti-symmetric, meaning that [f,g] = -[g,f], to rewrite this as:

[\phi,\lambda]\chi + [\phi,\chi]\lambda + [\lambda,\phi]\chi = 0

which is equivalent to our original identity. Therefore, we have shown that the identity holds true for any choice of functions \phi, \chi, and \lambda.

1. What is Poisson's Identity?

Poisson's Identity is a mathematical formula that states that the sum of the products of three variables, each multiplied by the partial derivative of the other two variables, is equal to zero. In other words, it is an equation that describes the relationship between partial derivatives of three variables.

2. What is the significance of Poisson's Identity?

Poisson's Identity is commonly used in mathematical analyses involving partial differential equations. It allows for the simplification of complex equations and can help to find solutions to these equations.

3. How is Poisson's Identity used to solve equations?

To solve equations using Poisson's Identity, the equation must first be written in the form of ((φλ)χ)+((λχ)φ)+((χφ)λ)=0. Then, the partial derivatives of each variable are taken and substituted into the equation. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the solution for the original equation.

4. Can Poisson's Identity be applied to any type of equation?

No, Poisson's Identity is specifically used for equations with three variables and their partial derivatives. It cannot be applied to equations with a different number of variables.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Poisson's Identity?

Yes, Poisson's Identity has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve equations related to the flow of fluids, heat transfer, and population dynamics, among other things.