Poisson's Ratio

Homework Statement

A titanium disk (with ##E=107 ~GPa##, Poisson's ratio, ##v=0.34##) precisely ##l_0=8~mm## thick by ##d_0=30~mm## diameter is used as a cover plate in a mechanical loading device. If a ##P=20~kN## load is applied to the disk, calculate the resulting dimensions, ##l_{01}## and ##d_{01}##.

Homework Equations

##v=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{trans}} {d\varepsilon_{axial}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{y}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{z}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}##

##\sigma=\frac F A##

##\sigma=E\cdot \varepsilon##

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a go working through the problem, but my final depth came out as ##7.999~mm## which seems really wrong. I'm confused which axis is which, or even which axis is being used. Which is trans and which is axial? Or is it ##z## and ##x## we're dealing with here?

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

A titanium disk (with ##E=107 ~GPa##, Poisson's ratio, ##v=0.34##) precisely ##l_0=8~mm## thick by ##d_0=30~mm## diameter is used as a cover plate in a mechanical loading device. If a ##P=20~kN## load is applied to the disk, calculate the resulting dimensions, ##l_{01}## and ##d_{01}##.

Homework Equations

##v=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{trans}} {d\varepsilon_{axial}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{y}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{z}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}##

##\sigma=\frac F A##

##\sigma=E\cdot \varepsilon##

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a go working through the problem, but my final depth came out as ##7.999~mm## which seems really wrong. I'm confused which axis is which, or even which axis is being used. Which is trans and which is axial? Or is it ##z## and ##x## we're dealing with here?
Les’s see your work. I get 7.998 mm.

Likes WhiteWolf98
Les’s see your work. I get 7.998 mm.
##\sigma = \frac F A = \frac {20×10^3} {\pi (15×10^{-3})^2} = 28.3×10^6 ~ Nm^{-2}##

##\sigma = E \cdot \varepsilon##

##\varepsilon = \frac \sigma E = \frac {28.3×10^6} {107×10^9}=2.64×10^{-4} ##

## v=- \frac {\varepsilon_{lat}} {\varepsilon_{long}}=0.34 → \varepsilon_{lat}=-(0.34)(2.64×10^{-4})=-8.99×10^{-5}##

##\varepsilon_{lat}=\frac {\Delta D} {D_0}##

##{\Delta D}=(-8.99×10^{-5})(8~mm)=-7.19×10^{-4}~mm##

##Hence ~D_f = 7.999 ~mm##

Truth be told, I watched someone do a similar problem, though it was with a cylinder for them. I just did the exact same as them, but used my numbers instead. I don't know why these equations are used or how to find the new length. If I was asked to do this again in an exam, I could probably do it, but I want to understand why

The way I interpreted this problem was that the load was compressional, and in the 8 mm thickness direction of the disk. So the strain in the 8 mm dimension was -0.000264, and the strain in the diameter direction was +0.0000899.

Likes WhiteWolf98
The main thing I don't understand is the formula: ##v=- \frac {\varepsilon_{lat}} {\varepsilon_{long}}##. How does one know which is latitudinal and longitudinal? Apologies if it sounds like a silly question. I don't know how to apply the formula

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The main thing I don't understand is the formula: ##v=- \frac {\varepsilon_{lat}} {\varepsilon_{long}}##. How does one know which is latitudinal and longitudinal? Apologies if it sounds like a silly question. I don't know how to apply the formula
Longitudinal means in the direction of the applied stress. "Along the force".

Likes WhiteWolf98 and Chestermiller
Longitudinal means in the direction of the applied stress. "Along the force".
I see! That clears things up, thank you! And Chestermiller too lol