Solving Diffraction Patterns: Investigating Central Spot Intensity/Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with diffraction of monochromatic light through a circular disc and the resulting bright spot in the center of the shadow at a certain distance. The person is seeking to understand how the intensity and radius of the spot vary with distance and how to effectively eliminate it. They mention a potential solution involving Bessel functions and a website for further explanation. The other person suggests looking into Fresnel diffraction and mentions a mistake in their initial response. They also mention the Poisson spot and how it differs from the Airy disk.
Dan Forth
Hi

hoping someone can help me with this problem. If I block plane monochromatic light (wavelength lambda) with a circular disc of radius r, and then look at the diffraction pattern on a screen placed a distance x behind the disc, I get a bright spot in the centre of the shadow. All well and good. What I want to know is how do the intensity and radius of that central spot vary as a function of x. Specifically I want to know how small I need to make x in order to effectively eliminate the bright spot. Clearly at x=0 there is no bright spot - as x increases I don't know whether the spot appears with increasing radius or increasing intensity (presumably both) but I need to be able to put some numbers into find at what point the spot becomes intolerably bright/large. For anyone interested the reasoning behind my problem is a botched photolith job that I'm trying to do an autopsy on and avoid repeating the same mistakes!

Thanks very much for any help anyone can give,

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up a mathematical discussion of Fraunhofer diffraction in a physical optics text (or just poke around the web). That spot is also called the Airy disk. The intensity is described by a Bessel function. Here's a site that describes it a little: http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/P360n/KPAD/Exps/Poisson/poisson.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Doc

cheers for the reply. Yeah I've been looking through the textbooks (Fresnel diffraction rather than Fraunhoffer I think) but it's not as simple as I'd hoped. The Bessel functions from the standard analysis will never give you the dot disappearing, as the analysis is invalid for x approaching zero (which it's going to have to do.) The classic undergrad approach fails at the first hurdle. I've got a feeling it's going to involve a lot of unpleasant maths starting right from first principles of diffraction (doubtless quickly resulting in an analytically impossible integral) - just wondered/hoped whether anyone out there had already ploughed through this or had a better way in mind!

Dan Forth said:
Yeah I've been looking through the textbooks (Fresnel diffraction rather than Fraunhoffer I think) but it's not as simple as I'd hoped.
Oops, you're right. Obviously I haven't looked at this stuff in ages: I was thinking Airy disk (and far-field limits) while you were talking about the Poisson spot from a circular obstruction (a consequence of Fresnel diffraction).

1. What is a diffraction pattern?

A diffraction pattern is a pattern of light and dark spots that appears when a beam of light is passed through a narrow slit or an opening with a sharp edge. It is formed due to the phenomenon of diffraction, which is the bending of light waves around obstacles.

2. How can diffraction patterns be used to investigate central spot intensity and radius?

By analyzing the distribution of light and dark spots in a diffraction pattern, we can determine the intensity and radius of the central spot. The intensity is directly related to the brightness of the central spot, while the radius is related to the overall size of the central spot.

3. What factors affect the central spot intensity and radius in a diffraction pattern?

The central spot intensity and radius are affected by the wavelength of the incident light, the size of the slit or opening, and the distance between the slit or opening and the viewing screen. The intensity and radius can also be influenced by the shape and material of the slit or opening.

4. How can we control and manipulate diffraction patterns?

Diffraction patterns can be controlled and manipulated by changing the properties of the light source, such as the wavelength or intensity, or by altering the characteristics of the slit or opening, such as the size or shape. Adjusting the distance between the slit or opening and the viewing screen can also change the diffraction pattern.

5. What applications do diffraction patterns and their investigation have in science and technology?

Diffraction patterns and their investigation have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are used to study the properties of light, to create diffraction gratings for spectroscopy, and to analyze the structure of crystals and other materials. Diffraction patterns also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as microscopes, telescopes, and lasers.