1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson's summation formula

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    I am trying to understand the derivation of the Poisson's sum formula. Wikipedia's article is like crosswords to me. I checked mathworld's take on it. It looked simple, but it stated that the equation is derived from a more general result without stating or proving that general result. Here's the link. Can you please tell me how that generalisation is derived? thank u.
    link:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PoissonSumFormula.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2009 #2
    can you at least tell me under which category in mathematics does this topic lie so that I know what kind of book I'm searching for.?

4. Jun 13, 2009 #3
    It is very easy to derive the formula using Fourier series.

5. Jun 13, 2009 #4
    Consider the functions:

[tex]e_{k}(x) = \exp(2 \pi i k x)[/tex]

For functions defined on the interval from n-1/2 to n + 1/2 with n some arbitrary integer, we define the inner product:

[tex]\langle f,g\rangle = \int_{n - 1/2}^{n +1/2} f(x)g^{*}(x)dx[/tex]

Then we see that:

[tex]\langle e_k, e_r\rangle = \delta_{k,r}[/tex]

where [itex]\delta_{k,r}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta, which is zero if the indices are differet and 1 if the indices are equal. This means that the [itex]e_k[/itex] form an orthonormal basis of functions. It can be shown that these functions also form a complete set which then implies that we can expand any function f as:

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \langle f, e_{k}\rangle e_{k}(x) [/tex]

[Note that this is completly analogous to how you can expand any vector in terms of basis vectors. If V is a 3d vector and ex, ey and ez are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z, directions, then V = <V,ex>ex +<V,ey> + <V,ez>ez. The inner products <V,ei> are, of course, the components of V in the ith direction.]

At x = n, we have

[tex]e_{k}(n)= \exp(2 \pi i k n) = 1[/tex],

so we have:

[tex]f(n) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} \langle f, e_k\rangle =
    \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{n-1/2}^{n+1/2} f(x) \exp(-2 \pi i k x) dx[/tex]

Now, sum both sides over n from minus infinity to infinity:

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}f(n) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{n-1/2}^{n+1/2} f(x) \exp(-2 \pi i k x) dx[/tex]

Interchange the summations over n and k:

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}f(n) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{n-1/2}^{n+1/2} f(x) \exp(-2 \pi i k x) dx[/tex]

Summing over n yields

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{n-1/2}^{n+1/2}f(x)\exp(-2\pi i k x) dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)\exp(-2\pi i k x)dx=\hat{f}(k)[/tex]

So, we have:

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}f(n)=\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}\hat{f}(k)[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. Jun 14, 2009 #5
    Count thank you greatly but I cannot understand through the language of the proof can you use latex? please? :)

7. Jun 14, 2009 #6

I've edited the posting.

8. Jun 14, 2009 #7
    "For functions defined on the interval from n-1/2 to n + 1/2 with n some arbitrary integer, we define the inner product:

LaTeX Code: \\langle f,g\\rangle = \\int_{n - 1/2}^{n +1/2} f(x)g^{*}(x)dx

Then we see that:

LaTeX Code: \\langle e_k, e_r\\rangle = \\delta_{k,r}

where LaTeX Code: \\delta_{k,r} is the Kronecker delta, which is zero if the indices are differet and 1 if the indices are equal. This means that the LaTeX Code: e_k form an orthonormal basis of functions. It can be shown that these functions also form a complete set which then implies that we can expand any function f as:"

I did not understand something here, what is the nature of g(x)? is it an arbitrary function or not? And how exactly did you deduce tht it is a kronecker's delta? the product of the two exponentials indeed will be 1 if the indices are the same but how will it always be zero if they arent? it could be exp (2pix (k-n)) for example..

9. Jun 16, 2009 #8
    I do not understand how <ek , er> results in a delta function. Isnt the integrand going to be e^(2pi i k) * e^(-2pi i r). While this is equal to 1 if k = r, it isnt necessarily 0 if r isnt equal to k. How did u interpret it as delta? please clarify.

10. Jun 16, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Equivalently, the integrand is e^[2 pi i (k-r)].

(k-r) is an integer, and the integral is done over a range of 1 (from n-½ to n+½). So the integral is done over an integer number of periods of the function e^[2 pi i (k-r)]. Therefore, the integral is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook