1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poker 10 Decks, 10 cards, independent 4 Aces

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    Silly question of very little importance :smile:

My dad just asked me the following question: You have 10 standard independent decks (52 cards), you draw 1 card from each deck 1 at a time, what is the probability (count) of getting 4 aces (not necessarily distinct suits) out of the 10 cards you draw.
    -------

I am thinking that the number of ways to get such a "hand" of 10 cards is the following:
    [tex]\binom{10}{4}\left(\frac{4}{52}\right)^4\left(\frac{48}{52}\right)^6[/tex]

Reasoning being that you want 4 aces and there are 4 per deck, hence the (4/52)^4 and for the other 6 cards you want you have (48/52)^6, then 10 choose 4 for all the different ways you can get the 4 aces out of the 10 cards.

And if we wanted the aces to have distinct suits we would have 4! instead of 4^4

Does this look correct? Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?