Poker "The Flop" probability

• Thread starter Offramp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of having at least one of the cards "A", "J", or "2" on the 3 card flop is 0.705, assuming the number of players is 10 or less and the probability is the same for 1 or 10 players. This can be calculated by adding the probabilities of each card being "A", "J", or "2" which are 0.230, 0.217, and 0.188 respectively. The probability does not depend on the number of players, but it does depend on the cards that have been dealt before the flop.
Offramp
What is the probability of anyone one of "A, J, 2" showing up on the the 3 card flop. I am assuming the number of player is 10 or less. I am assuming the probability is the same if it's 1 or 10 players , right? This is what I've calculated. Please let me know if I am correct.

Prob of 1st card being A, J or 2 is 12/52 = 0.230
if 1st card is none of the above then,

Prob of 2nd card being A, J or 2 is 12/51 =0.235
if 2nd card is none of the about then..

Prob of 3rd card being A, J, 2 is 12/50= 0.240

I would then sum up the prob. which is 0.705 am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

While the probability does NOT depend on how many players there are, it does depend on what information you have: in other words what cards you have been dealt before the flop.

Assuming that you were not dealt any "A", "J", or "2", then, yes, the probability the first card is "A", "J", or "2" is 12/52= 0.230 and the probabilty that it is NOT is 48/52.

The probabilty that the first card is NOT one of those and the second card IS would be 12/51 times 48/52= 0.217 (approx.). The probability, in this case, that the second card is NOT one of those would be 1-0.217= 0.783.

The probability that the first two cards are NOT one of those three but the third card is would be 12/50 times 0.783= 0.188.

The probabilty that exactly one of the three cards is one of "A", "J", "2" is 0.230+ 0.217+ 0.188= 0.635.

The probabilty that at least one of the three cards is "A", "J", "2" would be much more complicated to calculate.

HallsofIvy said:
Assuming that you were not dealt any "A", "J", or "2", then, yes, the probability the first card is "A", "J", or "2" is 12/52= 0.230 and the probabilty that it is NOT is 48/52.
I don't think that is quite right: since you've been dealt two cards, you know what two of those cards are. If you've not got one of A J 2, then the probability of A J or 2 being the first card on the flop is 12/50. (etc.. for the other cards of the flop.)

assuming that the two cards dealt to the players are NOT KNOWN, then what is the probability that atleast one of the 3 cards on the flop is a A, J, 2?

1. What is the probability of getting a pair on the flop in poker?

The probability of getting a pair on the flop in poker is approximately 32.4%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a pair on the flop about 32 times.

2. What is the probability of getting a three of a kind on the flop in poker?

The probability of getting a three of a kind on the flop in poker is approximately 2.1%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a three of a kind on the flop about 2 times.

3. What is the probability of getting a straight on the flop in poker?

The probability of getting a straight on the flop in poker is approximately 0.8%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a straight on the flop about 0.8 times.

4. What is the probability of getting a flush on the flop in poker?

The probability of getting a flush on the flop in poker is approximately 0.8%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a flush on the flop about 0.8 times.

5. What is the probability of getting a full house on the flop in poker?

The probability of getting a full house on the flop in poker is approximately 0.3%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a full house on the flop about 0.3 times.