Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Poland getting flooded

1. May 18, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't look good.

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/cynk/984,1,1,zdjecie.html [Broken]

It is raining all the time, southern Poland is flooded in many places, schools are getting closed - and it is going to rain in the next days as well. Where I live it is safe now, but in a few days the wave will come to Warsaw and even if we are about 8 km from the Wisła river we are living on the flat area, which is not elevated. Levee on our bank was enforced two years ago, that's a plus.

Edit: yellow is a high water, orange - above warning level, red - above alarm level.

http://www.pogodynka.pl/hydro.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

That does look bad. I hope the rain stops and the levees hold for you.
    It could be me, but the second link isn't working.

4. May 18, 2010 #3

Borek

Checked it again and it works here, could be the server is swamped. I can post just the screen shot, but the report is generated several times a day, so it will soon became outdated.

5. May 18, 2010 #4

Borek

It is not raining here at the moment (even sidewalks are dry), but my internet became so erratic it takes several minutes to refresh PF pages. I wonder if it doesn't mean wet cables somewhere (cables? in 21st century? what am I talking about?).

And I wonder if I will be able to post...

6. May 18, 2010 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:frown: I hope you remain dry/unflooded there. Perhaps one can move valuables and irreplaceable items to the attic or someplace high - just in case.

Such flooding seems to be all too common these days.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. May 18, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no, that's terrible...can you move valuables up to your second floor, just in case?

8. May 18, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Good luck, Borek.

It seems counter-intuitive, but if you haven't already done so, fill every available container with clean drinking water. Floods not only can take out power to water plants, but can overrun them so that water has to be boiled to make it safe for drinking. For those with electric stoves, that's a double-whammy.

PS, the links work for me, but the image server in the first link is VERY slow, so I didn't have the patience to get past 9 pix.

9. May 18, 2010 #8
    I am glad that the rain has stopped for now. Be safe Borek.

10. May 18, 2010 #9
    Wow :bugeye: Did they really changed the map as found here? Putting Poland on the wettest spot of Europe?

All the best, Borek.

And as Turbo and others noted, it could be helpful to have some first priorities secured, including a some sort of outdoors/camping gas tank with cooking possibilites

11. May 18, 2010 #10

Borek

Just to clarify: I am at least two-three days from the culmination wave, so there is plenty of time to prepare, and chances that we will get flooded are very tiny at the moment. So far I am more concerned with the situation in Poland in general then with my own safety. It may change, and I am far from ignoring the risk, but as of today I plan to watch TV drinking beer (or browsing PF, seems like my uplink problems were temporary).

There is really not much I can do (apart from driving my car to the parking place near Junior, he leaves much higher, and moving some of the things to the attic) and what I can I will do in 3 to 4 hours. No need to worry now, it makes you look ugly and live shorter.

12. May 18, 2010 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Good luck Borek, i hope things will get better.

13. May 18, 2010 #12

Evo

Glad to know you and your family are safe.

14. May 18, 2010 #13

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or with other potable liquids. Wait...
    Oh, you didn't need any advice :)

15. May 18, 2010 #14

turbo

Gold Member

He'll need a cooler and bags of ice to chill the beer if the flood knocks out the power. Be prepared!

16. May 18, 2010 #15
  17. May 19, 2010 #16

Borek

In some cities in southern Poland water either broke levees or flooded over (Kraków, Sandomierz, Tarnobrzeg). Thousands of people relocated, houses, bridges, roads and crops damaged, everything you can expect. Water is flowing in our direction, but it is still not high in Warsaw.

18. May 19, 2010 #17
    Oh, that is terrible. I'm glad you're safe, but I am sorry for your countrymen who suffer.

19. May 20, 2010 #18

Borek

High water coming to Warsaw. It stopped to rain and latest forecasts say wave should be lower then previously expected. Judging from the maps published by Warsaw City Hall, we are well outside the zone that can be flooded, assuming forecasts are correct.

Levee on our bank was enforced in the last years, so it shouldn't breach, as it happened in other cities. As of today (our) situation looks much better than two days ago.

20. May 20, 2010 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Glad to hear that Borek. Levees are a double-edged sword. Once they are over-topped and flooding occurs, they hold the water on the flood-plain and don't let it run off to the river.

21. May 20, 2010 #20

Borek

Argh, I have just realized nursing home where my Mom is is in a very very bad place - close to Wisła, about 600 meters from the levee, and below Warsaw - that means lower levee than those guarding Warsaw :bugeye: I was calm up to now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook