1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Arc Length Question

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the length of the cardioid with equation r = 1 + cos (theta) located in the first quadrant

2. Relevant equations
    f (theta) = 1 + cos (theta) f'(theta) = -sin (theta) s = antiderivative (0 to (pi/2)) sq rt (f(theta)^(2) + f'(theta)^(2)) d(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked thru the problem and have arrived at sq rt (2) antiderivative (0 to (pi/2)) sq rt (1-sin (theta)) d(theta) but have hit a road block here. Is there a trig identity that will help solve this? I haven't had any luck finding anything and don't know how else to proceed. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]1-sin x \times \frac{1+sinx}{1+sinx} = ?[/tex]

then use cos2x+sin2x = 1

then a trig substitution.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    It's been a long day, but I don't understand where the (1+sin x)/(1+sin x) comes from? From what I see that equals 1 and again leaves me with 1-sin x?

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, 1 + sinx over itself equals 1, and you can always multiply by 1. If you carry out the multiplication suggested by rock.freak667, what do you get?

6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

multiply it by 1-sinx and then what would you get? (you are multiplying by '1' so that you are not changing the integral)

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    I'm getting ((1-sinx)*(1+sinx))/1+sinx = (1+sinx-sinx-sinx^(2))/(1+sinx) = (1-sinx^(2))/(1+sinx) = (cosx^(2))/(1+sinx). Is this correct, or did I mess it up?

8. Jun 23, 2010 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes that is correct. So now instead of integrating √(1-sinx) wrt x, you can now integrate

[tex]\int \sqrt{\frac{cos^2x}{1+sinx}} dx [/tex]

now remember that √(a/b) = √a/√b

So what does the new integral become?

9. Jun 23, 2010 #8
    I'm getting the antiderivative of (cosx)/(1+(sq rt sinx))

10. Jun 23, 2010 #9
    For your denominator,
    [tex]\sqrt{1 + \sin x} \neq 1 + \sqrt{\sin x}[/tex]

11. Jun 23, 2010 #10
    How about this: (cosx)/(square root cosx)

12. Jun 24, 2010 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, not even close. Following rock.freak667's suggestion you should have
    [tex]\int {\frac{cos~x}{\sqrt{1+sin~x}}} dx [/tex]

The reason for his suggestion was to get to an integrand that is relatively easy to antidifferentiate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook