1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar bonds

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    how are polar bonds formed?

are polar bonds and polar covalent bonds the same thing?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    polar bonds are formed by a partial charge (i.e H20) and they are not the same as a covalent bond.

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    well there are polar covalent bonds

5. Jan 12, 2009 #4
    there are polar and non-polar covalent bonds. if the difference between the electronegativity of the atoms being bonded is between .3 and 1.7 the type of bond is considered to be covalent (when electrons are shared), more specifically, .3 - .9 are polar bonds (when certain parts are slightly negative or positive). one of the most common examples of this would be a water molecule.

6. Jan 12, 2009 #5
    Hope I helped you out, man. :)

7. Jan 12, 2009 #6
    sounds more like a she u know "sophipie27" doesnt sound like a username a self respecting guy would use...(no offence if you're actually a guy) ^_^

8. Jan 13, 2009 #7
    well my bad i wasn't paying attention to the username

9. Jan 13, 2009 #8
    lol just bugging you. =P

10. Jan 14, 2009 #9
    In the simplest model, the degree of polarity of a covalent bond is determined by the relative difference in electronegativity of the two atoms. Therefore, something like the carbon-carbon bond in ethane CH3-CH3 would be virtually zero polarity, as the two atoms are the same (both carbon), and the type and symmetry of the other atoms bonded to each carbon (3 hydrogens in each case) are the same.

On the other hand, the carbon-oxygen bond in ethanol, CH3-CH2-OH is significantly more polar, due to the high electronegativity of oxygen compared to that of carbon.

11. Jan 17, 2009 #10
    Thanks guys!

and yes i am a girl =]

12. Jan 17, 2009 #11
    HAHA i was right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?