Polar Co-ordinates Homework: Boat Docking w/ Ship

• Thread starter orochimaru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the problem involves a boat docking with a ship that is sailing along a straight course with speed v. The boat moves towards the ship with constant speed nv and the polar equation of its course, as observed from the ship, is given by \frac{A}{r} = sin\theta tan^n\frac{\theta}{2}. To solve this problem, one needs to use the velocity components of the boat and the chain rule to integrate and obtain the polar equation of the course. The constant A is an integration constant.
orochimaru

Homework Statement

A boat is to dock with a ship. The ship sails along a straight course with speed v. The boat moves with constant speed nv, its motion always being always directed towards the ship. Show that the polar equation of the course of the boat as observed from the ship is

[tex]\frac{A}{r} = sin\theta tan^n\frac{\theta}{2} [/tex]

where a is a constant and the origin of co-ordinates is the ship and the x-axis is in the direction of the ship's motion

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\overrightarrow dr}{dt} = \frac{dr}{dt}\hat{r} + r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\hat{\theta}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I introduce a velocity v in the negative for both the boat and the ship in the negative x direction so the ship remains at the origin and made an expression for the components of the boats velocity.

[tex]\ (-nv -vcos\theta) \hat{r} \\ - v sin\theta \hat{\theta} [/tex]

so [tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = - nv - vcos\theta \\ \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{v sin\theta}{r} [/tex]

I tried to use the chain rule [tex]\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dt}{d\theta} [/tex] to get [tex]\frac{dr}{d\theta} [/tex]

and integrate to get r but I got stuck and I don't understand where the constant A comes from.

Any help much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
orochimaru said:
and integrate to get r but I got stuck and I don't understand where the constant A comes from.

Well, I can't see what you've done, and therefore cannot tell you where you're getting stuck. Isn't A just an integration constant?

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used in boat docking?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing a point in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction. In boat docking, polar coordinates are used to determine the position and direction of the boat in relation to the dock and other objects in the water.

2. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). This will give you the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis.

3. How do you use polar coordinates to determine the best approach for docking a ship?

To determine the best approach for docking a ship using polar coordinates, you will need to consider the position and direction of the ship, the location of the dock, and any potential obstacles in the water. You can use the distance and angle values from the polar coordinates to plan the most efficient and safe approach for docking.

4. Can polar coordinates be used for boat docking in any body of water?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used for boat docking in any body of water. However, the specific approach and calculations may vary depending on the shape and size of the body of water, as well as any unique features or obstacles present.

5. How do you account for changing conditions when using polar coordinates for boat docking?

When using polar coordinates for boat docking, it is important to regularly update and adjust the calculations to account for changing conditions such as wind, current, and water level. This will ensure the most accurate and safe approach for docking the boat.