Polar Coordinates and Conics, bad

In summary: So the interval in radians would be 0 to \frac{2\pi}{180\;\text{radians}}=\frac{\pi}{90\;\text{radians}}. Therefore, the appropriate interval to evaluate the arc length would be from t=0 to t=\frac{\pi}{90\;\text{radians}}. In summary, to evaluate the arc length for the given parametric equations, x=5cost-cos5t and y=5sint-sin5t, the appropriate interval would be from t=0 to t=\frac{\pi}{90\;\text{radians}}.
th3plan
Were on the conic section. I need help how to choose the right interval to evaluate the arc lengh. x=5cost-cos5t and y=5sint-sin5t . I don't get how to choose the inverval to evaluate this, can someone pleasse tell me how. I just don't grasp this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

[tex]= \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt { [x'(t)]^2 + [y'(t)]^2 }\, dt.[/tex]

5 cos(t) - cos(5t) and 5 sin(t)- sin(5t) will no doubt fall within an area between [itex]x\pi \theta[/itex] and [itex]x\pi\theta[/itex] do you know how to work that out? Or how to work out appropriate ranges for cos and sin?

Personally I'd chose something like between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex]... or 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex]

Last edited:
th3plan said:
Were on the conic section. I need help how to choose the right interval to evaluate the arc lengh. x=5cost-cos5t and y=5sint-sin5t . I don't get how to choose the inverval to evaluate this, can someone pleasse tell me how. I just don't grasp this.

Those parametric equations do NOT give a conic section.

You can, however, cover the figure by letting t go from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]

how do i mathematically find the right interval to evaulate it ?

th3plan said:
how do i mathematically find the right interval to evaulate it ?

Which range will your shape fall in?

It's between the range of 0 and 360 degrees (or a full circle) right? In that case what is the range/interval in degrees to radians? Couldn't be 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] could it?

[tex]\text{radians}=\text{degrees}\times\frac{\pi\;\text{radians}}{180}[/tex]

[tex]\text{degrees}=\text{radians}\times\frac{180}{\pi\;\text{radians}}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of representing points on a plane using a distance from a fixed point (called the pole) and an angle from a fixed direction (called the polar axis).

2. How are polar coordinates used in science?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to describe the position and movement of objects in a two-dimensional space. They are particularly useful for studying circular and rotational motion.

3. What are conic sections?

Conic sections are curves that can be formed by intersecting a plane with a cone at various angles. They include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

4. How are conic sections related to polar coordinates?

Conic sections can be represented in polar coordinates by using equations that describe the distance and angle of a point from the pole. For example, a circle can be described by the equation r = a, where r is the distance from the pole and a is the radius of the circle.

5. What are some applications of conic sections in science?

Conic sections have many practical applications in science, including in optics, astronomy, and engineering. For example, parabolic reflectors are used in telescopes and satellite dishes, and ellipses are used to model the orbits of planets around the sun.