1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates theta

1. May 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves with const speed v along the curve r(θ) = a(1+cos θ).

Starting with the general expression for the velocity vector v in polar coordinates solve for θ_dot in terms of v, k, and θ. What does the sign of θ_dot signify?

2. Relevant equations

v = r_dot*r_hat + r*θ_dot*θ_hat

v = v * v_hat

r(θ) = a(1+cos θ)

r_hat = x_hat cos Θ + y_hat sin θ

v

3. The attempt at a solution

r_dot = -a sin θ

solving for θ_dot:

θ_dot = (v - r_dot * r_hat)/(r*Θ_hat)

I am lost here, I think I am missing some important relation and something that comes out of the fact that the speed in constant but I don't know what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Edit:

I think I've got it, since the magnitude of unit vectors are one and θ_dot is a scalar I can just stop at

θ_dot = (v - r_dot * r_hat)/(r*Θ_hat)
    = (v*v_hat - r_dot * r_hat)/(r*Θ_hat)
    = (v-r_dot)/r
    = (v+a sin θ)/(a + a cos θ)

Is this right? What does the sign mean then, just the value?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Remember that you can't divide by a vector, that operation is not defined. So dividing by r*θ_hat is not allowed. What you want to do is start by getting the squared magnitude of ##\vec{v}##.

Then also, this is wrong: ##\dot{r} = -a \; sinθ##. Remember that θ is a function of time, you are doing implicit differentiation to get ##dr \over dt## which is ##\dot{r}##.

4. May 25, 2014 #3
    Okay I've got the answer to this as

θ_dot2 = v2/(2ar)

but I'm still not sure if I've got the hang of it, what would θ_dotdot and r_dotdot be?

Would Θ_dotdot just be the

v/(k√2) * 0.5 sin θ / (1+cos Θ)^1.5

and then r_dotdot be

r_dotdot = -k θ_dot ^2 cos θ

? I think this is right

5. May 26, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You started with v = dr/dt r + r dθ/dt θ. Good.
    (Note: I use bold for vectors. θ and r are the unit vectors in polar coordinates.)

So, what is v2 ? Remember the bit about differentiating r that you were alerted to in post 2. Get v2 as a function of a and θ only.

BTW I have no idea what k is supposed to be. Ignore it. Your only variables are v, r, a and θ, obviously. a is assumed a positive constant.

Then, solving for dθ/dt is easy.

Finally, you can ponder the idea that dθ/dt can be negative as well as positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted