1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    change the following equation into polar form:

3. The attempt at a solution
    r*sin(t) = r^2 * cos(t)^2

stuck after this... my friend suggested that I cancel an r, but won't that get rid of one of the solutions?

I'm not really sure how to proceed
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    Well, from what I remember, I would say that your friend is right. Cancelling an r is the way to go, mostly because it's nice to have the answer in the "r=" form. It's really the same as if you had x^2=xy, to solve for y you'd simple cancel an x to get y=x.
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    I thought that since "r" was a variable we couldn't cancel it out because we would be losing one of the solutions...

but assuming we can, how should I proceed?
  5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    I believe dividing both sides by r* cos(t)^2 gives you the equation in polar coordinates solved for r. Does the question ask you to do anything else?
  6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    take care this part is not right, maybe it is just a typo, but it shoul read like this
    [tex] (cos(t))^{2}[/tex]
  7. Jan 27, 2008 #6
    By just dividing both sides by r you will defenitely loose one solution, the one when x takes negative values.
  8. Jan 27, 2008 #7
    yes, that is how it should read
  9. Jan 27, 2008 #8
    any tips on how to get started? :)
  10. Jan 27, 2008 #9
    well one solution is going to be zero. I think there are two ways of going about this
    r*sin(t) = r^2 * (cos(t))^2
    r^2*(cos(t))^2 -r*sin(t)=0 now factor a r out
    r( r*(cos(t))^2 -sin(t))=0, so which are the two solutions here?
    or you might want to solve this r^2*(cos(t))^2 -r*sin(t)=0 as a quadratic equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?