1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity field for a line source in polar coordinates (r,theta) is given by:

V=m/(2(pi)r) (in the "e" little r vector direction)

convert to cartesian and calculate the strain rate tensor.

2. Relevant equations

Cartesian form:
    X= R*cos(Theta)
    Y= R*sin(Theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

I just need to convert this, i understand how to get the strain rate tensor. I know how to compute between polar and cartesian but need theta. Or am I suppposed to assume theta=0?

if theta=0 then y=0 andf x=r*sin(theta) but what do i use for r? If i solve for r i th efirst equation I get r=m/(2pi)

This doesn't seem right becasue I need a velocity field in terms of V(u,v) where u and v are in terms of x and y.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    I do not know what exactly you are asking, but if you are just asknig how to get from cartesian coordinates to polar ones than

theta=arctan(y/x) while R=sqrt(x^2+y^2)
  4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    I understand that as stated in my post under "Relevant Equations", thanks anyways
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?