Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    Dear All,

How do you derive both equations below. Let r be the position vector (rcos(θ), rsin(θ)), with r and θ depending on time t.

These equations can be found in wiki under polar coordinates.

33d65d19869f5b9f1637af2da465801c.png

a7c26879c9644e95490242bd842a87eb.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

This looks just like a staight-forward application of the chain and product rules . . .

Proof: [tex]\mathbf{r} = [rcos(\theta), rsin(\theta)][/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{\hat{r}} = [cos(\theta),sin(\theta)][/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{\hat{\theta}} = [-sin(\theta),cos(\theta)][/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{r} = rcos(\theta)\mathbf{e_1} + rsin(\theta)\mathbf{e_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = [\dot{r}cos(\theta) - rsin(\theta)\dot{\theta}]\mathbf{e_1} + [\dot{r}sin(\theta) + rcos(\theta)\dot{\theta}]\mathbf{e_2}[/tex]

Expressing this in terms of our previously defined unit vectors we have that.

[tex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = \dot{r}\mathbf{\hat{r}} + r\dot{\theta}\mathbf{\hat{\theta}}[/tex]

As desired. A similar method could probably be used to get the second result. This is probably a bit sloppy but I'm just learning vector calculus.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    I'm new to vector calculus too. What does e1 and e2 mean?

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

They're unit vectors.

6. Aug 5, 2009 #5
    The notation [tex]e_i[/tex] is often used for the i-th vector in the standard basis. So [tex]e_1[/tex] is the vector that points in the positive x direction, and [tex]e_2[/tex] to the positive y direction, etc.

7. Aug 6, 2009 #6
    Here's a good link I found on deriving those equations: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PolarCoordinates.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Aug 6, 2009 #7

jgens

Gold Member

Which is pretty much exactly what I showed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook