Polar Coordinates Homework: Find the Polar Form of an Expression

In summary, to write an expression in polar coordinates, you can use the equations a.sin(theta) + b.cos(theta) for the cartesian coordinates and r.sin(theta).cos(theta) for the polar coordinates. It is helpful to draw a unit circle and practice with examples or refer to resources such as Wikipedia or a textbook. Understanding coordinate transforms is important for success in physics.
hermano

Homework Statement

Hi, I have the coordinates of an "expression" for a point in a cartesian coordinate system. I'm trying to write it in a polar coordiante system (in function of r and theta) but I don't know how to find the answer

a = y-component of the point
b = x-component of the point
theta = angle between the y-axis and a line connecting the point with the origin
r = distance from the origin till the point

Homework Equations

the expression which I would like to write in a polar coordinate system is:

a.sin(theta) + b.cos(theta)

The result should be:

r.sin(theta).cos(theta)

How to get to this result?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Start off drawing your unit circle. You should be able to figure it out from there. If you can't figure out the transform, trying looking up coordinate transforms on wikipedia. I know they have a good page on the topic.

If you have a problem understanding where the transforms come from or how to use them, try going over some examples in a textbook or drawing the vectors. This is something one really needs to understand to perform well in physics.

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system used to locate points in a two-dimensional plane. They use a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle from a fixed reference line (known as the polar axis) to describe a point's position.

How do I convert an expression into polar form?

To convert an expression into polar form, you will need to replace any x and y variables with their corresponding polar coordinate expressions. Then, use trigonometric functions to simplify the expression and write it in the form of r(cosθ + isinθ).

Can I use polar coordinates to graph an equation?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to graph equations. However, the graph will be in the form of a polar plot, where the radius and angle will determine the position of each point on the graph.

What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use distance and angle to describe a point's position, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates. Polar coordinates are often used for circular and rotational motion, while Cartesian coordinates are used for linear motion.

Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates?

While polar coordinates are useful for certain calculations and applications, they are not as versatile as Cartesian coordinates. They cannot be used for certain types of equations, such as linear equations, and they are not as intuitive for visualizing shapes and graphs.