1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am learning about Polar Coordinates and how they can be written in several equivalent ways.

I understand how you can add 360 to angles and use negative angles to represent the same point.

However, I have a very hard time understanding how you can write the same point but with a negative distance r.

So, the example in the book is r = 10 and θ = 30.

I really can't see how r = -10 and θ = 210 is equivalent.

Would anyone mind trying to give me some reasoning better than the one provided by my book?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

(Sorry to nitpick, but you really need the degree symbols. Otherwise, I have to assume that you are in radians.)

Think of it this way. Let's use the point (8, 135°) as an example. Pretend that you are standing at the origin. θ = 135° means that you would turn and face towards the NW direction. r = 8 indicates that you would walk forward 8 units in the direction of 135°.

Now (-8, 315°) is an equivalent point. θ = 315° means that you would turn and face towards the SE direction. r = -8 indicates that you would walk backwards 8 units (r is negative), while still facing the SE direction. So you end in the same spot as (8, 135°).

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3
    Firstly, sorry for the degree symbol, I understand. Regarding the explanation, thanks! That is great!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook