1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find two other pairs of polar coordinates of the given polar coordinate, one with r > 0 and one with r < 0. Then plot the point.

(2, 5π/3)

2. Relevant equations

I don't there are any.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not completely sure of how to do this actually.

I know that we can add 2 pi to the answer to get the coordinates for r > 0 this gives an answer of [itex] (2,\frac{11\pi}{3} [/itex]

But I'm not sure about the r<0 option. Would I simply have to subtract 2 pi from 5 pi/3? In addition, would the r value change to the negative sign?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi stunner5000pt! :smile:
    are you sure that isn't θ > 0 and θ < 0 ? :confused:

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    I chekced again and yes it is R and not theta ...

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

r can be negative. Think of yourself being in the origin of the coordinate plane, facing the positive y direction. If you walk in the positive y direction 5 units, then where you end up will correspond to
    [itex]\left( 5, \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]
    in polar coordinates.

Think of yourself back in the origin, facing the positive y direction. Now walk backwards 5 units. By "walking backwards" your r is negative. Since you are still facing the positive y direction, this point will correspond to
    [itex]\left( -5, \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]
    in polar coordinates. But this particular point is the same as facing the negative y direction and walking forwards 5 units, or
    [itex]\left( 5, \frac{3\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]

Now see if you can answer your question.

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5
    Thanks for your advice

based on what you have said, in the case of (2, 5pi/3), the moment arm for the 'backward' motion is in the second quadrant

If we 'walked' backward that would be [itex] (-2, \frac{5\pi}{3}) [/itex]
    for the 'positive' motion it would be [itex] (2, \frac{2\pi}{3}) [/itex]

How does this sound?

7. Mar 21, 2013 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

Not quite. The three points you state are not the same. The three points I used in my example were not the same either - the last two formed a separate example from the first.

The question is this: which direction would you have to "face", if, when walking "backwards" 2 units, you end up at the same point as (2, 5π/3)? In other words,
    [itex]\left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right) = \left( -2, ? \right)[/itex]
    Then you also need to consider coterminal angles.

8. Mar 21, 2013 #7
    if we walked backward, then the angle would be pi/3

As for the answer with r > 0, the answer wuld be (2, -pi/3)

Is that correct?

9. Mar 21, 2013 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See the red comments.

10. Mar 21, 2013 #9

eumyang

Homework Helper

Sorry, that's still not correct. It may help if you looked at a polar coordinate grid like the one on this site.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. Mar 21, 2013 #10
    Hmm... ok (2, -pi/3) is correct. This is because if we have a positive moment arm, the angle would be measured negative as we rotate clockwise

for the negative angle, wouldn't the angle be the same? But since the r is negative, would that imply that if we rotate clockwise, we get a positive angle?
    would that mean that for r = -2, the angle should be + pi/3?

12. Mar 21, 2013 #11

eumyang

Homework Helper

No. See the attached image. Point A is the point you want, [itex]\left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right)[/itex]. Point B is [itex]\left( -2, \frac{\pi}{3} \right)[/itex], the point that you are saying that is the same as point A. They are not the same.

Attached Files:

13. Mar 21, 2013 #12
    In polar coordinates, the radial coordinate r is always positive.

14. Mar 21, 2013 #13
    I am so confused

SO lets start from the top

if we consider a point [itex] \left( 2,\frac{5\pi}{3} \right) [/itex]
    then for r> 0 [itex] \left( 2,\frac{11 \pi}{3} \right) [/itex]
    and for r < 0 [itex] \left( -2,\frac{2\pi}{3} \right) [/itex]

obtained r > 0 by simply rotating once (+2 pi)
    obtained r < 0 by rotating half circle (- pi)

15. Mar 21, 2013 #14
    Who says?
    Bingo! :smile:

16. Mar 21, 2013 #15
    Every math book that I've ever seen. I challenge you to site one single reference in which r in polar coordinates is considered anything but positive (or zero).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  17. Mar 21, 2013 #16
    Well apart from at least one other person on this thread saying so, and at least one link on this thread to a website saying so...

Even the Wiki page for Polar Coordinates says so. (Although, I will agree that Wiki is not always Gospel.)

18. Mar 21, 2013 #17

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plot ##r = \sin (3\theta)## for ##\theta## from ##0## to ##\pi## and you will see an nice 3 leaved rose with one leaf plotted with ##r<0##.

19. Mar 21, 2013 #18

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't blame you.

It's clear that this argument concerning polar coordinates is not helping you understand how to solve this problem you have been given.

Try looking at the case of r = -2 as follows.

In Cartesian coordinates, the point you're working with is [itex]\displaystyle \ (x,\, y)=\left(1,\,-\sqrt{3}\right)\ .[/itex]

In general, x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ).

For this point, you then have [itex]\displaystyle \ 1=(-2)\cos(\theta)\ \text{ and }\ -\sqrt{3}=(-2)\sin(\theta) \ .[/itex]

This gives you [itex]\displaystyle \ \cos(\theta)=-\,\frac{1}{2}\ \text{ and }\ \sin(\theta) =\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \ .[/itex]

Thus the angle, θ, is in the second quadrant.

20. Mar 22, 2013 #19

eumyang

Homework Helper

Precalculus by Larson (8th ed.) refers to r as a "directed distance from O to P" (p. 777) and it states that "another way to obtain multiple representations of a point is to use negative values for r" (p. 778).

Precalculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic by Demana/Waits/Foley/Kennedy (7th ed.) states that "r is the directed distance from O to P" and that "if r < 0 then P is on the terminal side of θ + π" (both on p. 534)

That's two references, and I think it's safe to say that you are mistaken.

21. Mar 22, 2013 #20
    Actually, Wiki is a little schizophrenic on this. First the say "The radial distance ρ is the Euclidean distance from the z axis to the point P." This can only be positive. But then they say something about allowing negative values of ρ to locate a point.

In a 40 year career as an engineer/mathematician, I have never seen negative values of ρ being used in practice. So maybe negative values of ρ are only found in Ivory Tower land.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted