1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates?

1. May 18, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As I understand it, the polar coordinates of a point is defined by the rectangular coordinates of that point according to the transformation T from R² to R² defined by

[tex]T:(x,y)\mapsto (\sqrt{x^2+y^2},tan\left(\frac{y}{x}\right))[/tex]

But this definition fails for y=pi and x=2 because tan(pi/2) is not defined.

We could defined it this way for [itex](x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2 \backslash \{(x,y) \ \vert \ y/x = (n+1/2)\pi, \ n\in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex], and by

[tex]T:(x,y)\mapsto (\sqrt{x^2+y^2}, Arccos_n \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right))[/tex]

for [itex](x,y) \in \{(x,y) \ \vert \ y/x = (n+1/2)\pi, \ n\in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex] and where Arccos_n is the inverse function of cos in the interval containing (n+1/2)pi.. i.e. [itex]Arccos_n(z): [-1,1]\rightarrow [n\pi, (n+1)\pi][/itex].

This is phenomenally ugly. Is there a nicer way to define the polar coordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That has never been correct, this is somewhat more correct:
    [tex]T:(x,y)\mapsto (\sqrt{x^2+y^2},arctan\left(\frac{y}{x}\right))[/tex]

4. May 18, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh damn!

But more like 'phew!' really. :smile:

5. May 18, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These basis changes should be made through diffeomorphisms.Obviously

[tex] \hat{T}:(x,y)\mapsto \left(\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}},\arctan \frac{y}{x}\right) [/tex]

is not a diffeomorphism from [tex] \mathbb{R}^2}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{2} [/tex].

Daniel.

6. May 18, 2005 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does that mean Daniel?

7. May 18, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Invertible [itex] C^{\infty} [/itex] maps from one space to another.

U'll have to exclude the Oy axis.

Daniel.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  8. May 18, 2005 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well I don't see your point. Why must the transformation from rectangular to polar coord. be a diffeomorphism absolutely?!

9. May 18, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick the point [itex] (0,2) [/itex] in cartesian.Can your mapping send it to polar coords...?

Daniel.

10. May 18, 2005 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. So how do you suggest we avoid this problem?

11. May 18, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's simplest to define the mapping by through:
    [tex]x=r\cos\theta, y=r\sin\theta[/tex]

This sets up a bijection almost everywhere between (x,y) and [tex](r,\theta)[/tex].
    (That is with (x,y) on the plane, r on the non-negative half-axis, and [tex]\theta[/tex] on the half-open interval [tex][0,2\pi)[/tex]

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  12. May 18, 2005 #11

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If theta is traped in the interval [0, 2pi), then surely when we say that the potential energy of an object free to rotate around the z axis is

[tex]V(\theta) = -\int_{\theta _s}^{\theta}N\z(\theta)d\theta[/tex] (Symon pp.212)

the theta involved in this equation is not the theta of polar/cylindrical coordinates (i.e. constrained in [0, 2pi)), is it?

I had succeeded in proving this equation but it involved treating the polar angle has being free to take any value in [itex](-\infty, \infty)[/itex]. I was trying to justify that it was justified to do that. But now I'm a little confused. Is it justified?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?