1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My answer seems to differ from the books answer, so I'm wondering where something has gone wrong.

Find the volume inside the prism bounded by the planes ##y = x##, ##y = 0##, ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##, ##z = 0## and the cone ##az = h\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##.

2. Relevant equations

We want the area under ##z = \frac{h}{a} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution

When i visualized this, I saw a triangle in the x-y plane formed by ##y = x##, ##y = 0##, and ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##, which gets cut by ##z = \frac{h}{a} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}## in the x-y-z plane.

So we want:

$$V_R = \int \int_R \frac{h}{a} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dA$$

Using polar co-ordinates gives:

##(1) rsin(\theta) = 0 \quad##
    ##(2) rsin(\theta) = rcos(\theta)##
    ##(3) rcos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##
    ##(4) f(rcos(\theta), rsin(\theta)) = \frac{h}{a} r##

Looking at ##(2)## implies ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}## so that ##0 ≤ \theta ≤ \frac{\pi}{4}##.

The limits for ##r## have proven a little tricky. The answer is listed as:

##\frac{a^2 h}{12} [1 + \frac{3 \sqrt{2}}{2} \log(1 + \sqrt{2})]##

I have obtained the answer ##\frac{a^2 h \pi}{12}## using ##0 ≤ r ≤ a##, which is obviously incorrect, but indicates my limits for ##\theta## make physical sense, so I believe the limits for ##r## are the issue. I can't seem to visualize them properly right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

....deleted... My answer was off...

4. Aug 28, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Calculus is the bread and butter of all that is true. So forgive me if I'm firm about using it.

Where is the cylinder coming from exactly? The lines ##y=0##, ##y=x## and ##x = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}## give a triangle with a varying height in the x-y plane (based on ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}##).

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I thought I saw a cylinder with cone defining its upper edge but had forgotten about the x=a/sqrt(2) plane

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why are you even using polar coordinates here? It's more straightforward to describe the area of integration using cartesian coordinates.

7. Aug 28, 2014 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Re-arranging the equation for the cone a bit:

##az = h \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \Rightarrow \frac{z^2}{h^2} = \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{a^2}##

I see that it opens up in the z-direction and the top of the cone should be a perfect circle of radius ##a##. I still can't see how to get the radius otherwise.

The book says it is possible to find the solution with polar co-ordinates, and I would like to find a solution using them.

8. Aug 28, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have that triangle you described in the xy plane. Use it to get the polar limits. ##r## goes from ##0## to the ##r## value on the line ##x=\frac a{\sqrt 2}##. What is the equation of that line in polar coordinates?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  9. Aug 28, 2014 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

That would correspond to equation ##(3)## in my first post I believe.

$$r \cos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Though I doubt that ##0 ≤ r ≤ \frac{a}{cos(\theta) \sqrt{2}}##

10. Aug 28, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you doubt it? If you start at ##r=0## and move through the region in the ##r## direction, isn't that the line you hit? And I would suggest expressing that with ##\sec\theta## when you set up the integral.

11. Aug 28, 2014 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I am never going to believe wolfram again.

I think I understand now that you have clarified that. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted