1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    A particle P describes the curve with polar equation [itex]r = a e^{\theta \sqrt{3}} \cosh 2\theta[/itex] in such a manner that the radius vector from the origin rotates with uniform angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. Show that the resultant acceleration of the particle at any instant makes an angle of 30 degrees in the radius vector.

Any ideas? :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2
    Use the polar unit vectors:

[tex]\hat{\mathbf{r}} = \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}} \ \ \ \ \ \hat{\mathbf{\theta}} = -\sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}}[/tex]

The nice thing about these is that you can start out with the position vector

[tex]\mathbf{r} = r \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

and take derivatives of it to find the velocity and acceleration vectors. You are given r as a function of theta, and [tex]\dot{\theta} = \omega[/tex], so this should allow you to express all vectors in terms of theta.

4. Jun 23, 2005 #3
    I'm still not getting anywhere. Can you please show me the first couple of steps?

5. Jun 23, 2005 #4
    Right. I've tried some more and here's where I ended up:

[tex]\text{acceleration} = \langle \ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta ^2}, 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta} \rangle[/tex]

Now I've got to differentiate my expression for [itex]r[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]\dot{\theta} = \omega[/itex].

Is that correct, or is there a better method?

6. Jun 23, 2005 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good so far. Don't forget that [tex]\ddot{\theta} = 0 [/tex] in this problem

7. Jun 23, 2005 #6
    I've obtained an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration; how do I show that the particle makes an angle 30 at the radius vector?

8. Jun 23, 2005 #7
    compute dot product of acceleration and the radius vector two different ways, and set them equal.

9. Jun 23, 2005 #8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?