Polar Coordinates: Show Acceleration Angle of 30°

In summary, the particle describes a curve with polar equation r = a e^{\theta \sqrt{3}} \cosh 2\theta in such a manner that the resultant acceleration of the particle at any instant makes an angle of 30 degrees in the radius vector.
devious_
A particle P describes the curve with polar equation [itex]r = a e^{\theta \sqrt{3}} \cosh 2\theta[/itex] in such a manner that the radius vector from the origin rotates with uniform angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. Show that the resultant acceleration of the particle at any instant makes an angle of 30 degrees in the radius vector.

Any ideas? :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the polar unit vectors:

[tex]\hat{\mathbf{r}} = \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}} \ \ \ \ \ \hat{\mathbf{\theta}} = -\sin \theta \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \cos \theta \hat{\mathbf{j}}[/tex]

The nice thing about these is that you can start out with the position vector

[tex]\mathbf{r} = r \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

and take derivatives of it to find the velocity and acceleration vectors. You are given r as a function of theta, and [tex]\dot{\theta} = \omega[/tex], so this should allow you to express all vectors in terms of theta.

I'm still not getting anywhere. Can you please show me the first couple of steps?

Right. I've tried some more and here's where I ended up:

[tex]\text{acceleration} = \langle \ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta ^2}, 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta} \rangle[/tex]

Now I've got to differentiate my expression for [itex]r[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]\dot{\theta} = \omega[/itex].

Is that correct, or is there a better method?

devious_ said:
Right. I've tried some more and here's where I ended up:

[tex]\text{acceleration} = \langle \ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta ^2}, 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta} \rangle[/tex]

Now I've got to differentiate my expression for [itex]r[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]\dot{\theta} = \omega[/itex].

Is that correct, or is there a better method?

Looks good so far. Don't forget that [tex]\ddot{\theta} = 0 [/tex] in this problem

I've obtained an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration; how do I show that the particle makes an angle 30 at the radius vector?

compute dot product of acceleration and the radius vector two different ways, and set them equal.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of representing points in a two-dimensional space by using a distance from a fixed point and an angle from a fixed direction. In this system, the fixed point is known as the origin and the fixed direction is known as the polar axis.

2. How do polar coordinates show acceleration angle of 30°?

In polar coordinates, the distance from the origin to a point represents the magnitude of the acceleration, while the angle from the polar axis represents the direction of the acceleration. So, if the acceleration angle is 30°, it means that the acceleration is 30° from the polar axis.

3. What is the significance of the acceleration angle in polar coordinates?

The acceleration angle in polar coordinates is important because it helps us understand the direction in which an object is accelerating. This information is crucial in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space.

4. How is the acceleration angle calculated in polar coordinates?

The acceleration angle in polar coordinates can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The angle is typically measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. So, if the acceleration is in the first quadrant, the angle can be calculated using the tangent function.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates in showing acceleration angle?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to study the motion of objects, such as projectiles, satellites, and vehicles. They can also be used in navigation, astronomy, and mapping to determine and describe the positions and movements of objects in a two-dimensional space.