Polar Coordinates: Position of Particle at T/8

In summary: The position of a particle is given by r(t) = acos(wt) i + bsin(wt) j. Assume a and b are both positive and a > b.The plane polar coordinates of a particle at a time t equal to 1/8 of the time period T will be given by r= a/√2 + b/√2. So in polar coordinates this transforms to r = √(a2 + b2)/2 and tanθ = b/a.
vaibhav garg
1. The question
The position of a particle is given by r(t) = acos(wt) i + bsin(wt) j. Assume a and b are both positive and a > b. The plane polar coordinates of a particle at a time t equal to 1/8 of the time period T will be given by _

Homework Equations

r(t) = acos(wt) i + bsin(wt) j.

The Attempt at a Solution

at t = T/8 the value of wt=π/4.
therefore in Cartesian coordinates the vector is r= a/√2 + b/√2.
so in polar coordinates this transforms to r = √(a2 + b2)/2 and tanθ = b/a. My answer does not match with the given one. Also if we were to write the polar equation of the curve how would that follow ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Strange. Don't see anything wrong. In what respect does your answer not match with the given one ?

BvU said:
Hi,
Strange. Don't see anything wrong. In what respect does your answer not match with the given one ?
The angle does not match. tanθ = b/a√2 is given
Also this is one of the part of the question, and I still can't understand how to wite the polar equation for this curve

Still strange. Where would the ##\sqrt 2## come from ?
Your ##\tan\theta## matches the expression here (##\tan t=1##).
And the answer for the polar equation is right in the next paragraph :rolleyes:

vaibhav garg said:
The angle does not match. tanθ = b/a√2 is given
Also this is one of the part of the question, and I still can't understand how to wite the polar equation for this curve
You have $$r\cos \theta = a \cos \omega t$$and $$r\sin \theta = b \sin \omega t$$
Just solve for r and ##\theta##

Likes QuantumQuest
BvU said:
Still strange. Where would the ##\sqrt 2## come from ?
Your ##\tan\theta## matches the expression here (##\tan t=1##).
And the answer for the polar equation is right in the next paragraph :rolleyes:
I calculated the polar equation to be r = √(a2cos2(wt) + b2sin2(wt)) r^
and then I differentiated it to get the velocity as v = ((b2 - a2)sin(wt)cos(wt)w)/√(a2cos2(wt) + b2sin2(wt)) r^ + √(a2cos2(wt) + b2sin2(wt))w θ^

vaibhav garg said:
and then I differentiated it to get the velocity as v = ((b2 - a2)sin(wt)cos(wt)w)/√(a2cos2(wt) + b2sin2(wt)) r^ + √(a2cos2(wt) + b2sin2(wt))w θ^
Is this wrong ?

vaibhav garg said:
Is this wrong ?
It looks correct. For aesthetic purposes, I would go to the double angle formulas:
$$2\sin \omega t\cos \omega t=\sin2\omega t$$
$$\cos^2 \omega t=\frac{1+\cos 2\omega t}{2}$$
$$\sin^2 \omega t=\frac{1-\cos 2\omega t}{2}$$

Are we sure the exercise composer wants r(t) and v(t) instead of ##r(\theta)## when asking for the polar form ?

vaibhav garg said:
Oops. I don't confirm your coefficient of ##\hat{\theta}##. I get ##\frac{\omega ab}{r}##.

that is the problem I have been having, I can't figure out as to why I am not getting the correct angular component

vaibhav garg said:
that is the problem I have been having, I can't figure out as to why I am not getting the correct angular component
The angular component is ##rd\theta/dt##, not ##r\omega##. In this problem ##d\theta/dt## is not the same thing as what they call ##\omega##. You need to be able to show that ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{\omega ab}{r^2}##.

$$\tan \theta = \frac{b}{a}\tan \omega t$$
$$\sec^2 \theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{b\omega}{a}\sec^2\omega t$$$$r\cos \theta=a\cos \omega t$$

Combine 2nd and 3rd equations to eliminate ##\sec \theta##.

1. What are Polar Coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional coordinate system that is commonly used in mathematics and physics. They represent a point in space using a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from a reference direction.

2. How are Polar Coordinates related to Cartesian Coordinates?

Polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different ways of representing the same point in space. The conversion between the two systems can be done using the equations r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x).

3. What is the position of a particle at T/8 in Polar Coordinates?

The position of a particle at T/8 in Polar Coordinates depends on its velocity and direction of motion. If the particle is moving at a constant speed, its position can be calculated using the formula r = rt and θ = ωt, where r is the distance from the origin, t is the time, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How do Polar Coordinates differ from Rectangular Coordinates?

Polar coordinates differ from rectangular coordinates in the way they represent a point in space. Rectangular coordinates use two perpendicular axes, the x-axis and y-axis, to represent a point using its horizontal and vertical distances from the origin. Polar coordinates use a distance and an angle, which can be more useful for representing circular or rotational motion.

5. What are the applications of Polar Coordinates?

Polar coordinates have many applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in fields such as calculus, trigonometry, and mechanics. They are commonly used to represent circular motion, such as the motion of planets around the sun, and to solve problems involving rotational symmetry.