1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Curve question

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    any clue?
    Determine maximum and minimum values of the curvature at points of the polar curve r = 3 + sin [tex]\theta[/tex] .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    1. Find the curvature of the curve.
    2. Use either intuition or calculus to find the extrema of the curvature.
    Which step are you having trouble with ?

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    so do I derive the curve and let it equal to zero to find the maximum? how about the minimum? also....I don't really get how do you find the curvature of the curve?

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4
    [tex]\kappa=\frac{\left|\mathbf{r}'\times\mathbf{r}''\right|}{\left|\mathbf{r}'\right|^{3}}[/tex]

here you can say r=<θ, 3+sinθ>

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  6. Oct 2, 2005 #5
    Sorry...I don't really get what you just typed, coz I don't think I have learned those in my course. We are currently doing parametric equations and polar coordinates. Is there an other approach to the question?

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6
    What I just typed was the vector form. Do you know about vectors from a previous course? Maybe precalc.?

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7
    See Mathworld - Curvature. You're probably looking for the extrinsic curvature of a curve in the plane.

9. Oct 2, 2005 #8
    no...we are not learning vectors

10. Oct 2, 2005 #9
    yeah, something about the parametric, cartesian, polar equations are what we are learning. But I still don't get how to find the 'maximum' and 'minimum' values of the curvature.

11. Oct 3, 2005 #10
    Differentiate and set equal to zero!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?