1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar double integral

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    I'm having trouble finding the function and/or the limits to this problem:

Using polar coordinates, evaluate the integral [​IMG] where R is the region [​IMG]

I've tried the function as sin(r^2) with the limits as 3 to 6 and 0 to 2pi, but that does not give the right answer.

That would give -1/2*cos(r^2) which gives .0893 dtheta, which is then

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the integrals correctly, I think I just have the function wrong. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You realize you need to change it from dA to [tex]drd\theta[/tex] right?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
    [tex]r dr d\theta[/tex]. But he did that, and -1/2*cos(r^2) looks right to me. Your limits look good too. I don't see where you are getting .0893 though.
  5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    I evaluated 1/2*cos(r^2) from 6 to 3

6. Nov 1, 2006 #5
    He is using degrees rather than radians?
  7. Nov 1, 2006 #6
    It's in radians, all the other homework has been and I just tried the answer with 360 instead of 2pi.
  8. Nov 1, 2006 #7
    Max meant that your calculation used degrees, when you should have used radians... and I think he's right.
  9. Nov 1, 2006 #8
    Ah, you are right. That worked, thanks a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?