What is the approach for integrating 2θsin2θ in a polar equation problem?

• Thread starter rjs123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary: When I foil I end up with \theta^2 + 2\theta\sin2\theta + sin^2(2\theta)This is the part where I believe I made the mistake. I know the area is 4.9348 by the use of my calculator...if it is indeed correct...I can easily integrate the 1st and 3rd term...but i think the second term needs to be done by parts if I am not mistaken.Parts should be ok to solve that. It's pretty straight forward. If you're familiar with the "ultra-violet voodoo" pneumonic, then let the \theta term be the "doo" (
rjs123

Homework Statement

[tex] r = \theta + sin(2\theta)[/tex] for [tex] 0 \le \theta \le \pi [/tex]

a. Find the area bounded by the curve and the x-axis

b. Find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] that corresponds to the point on the curve with x-coordinate -2

c. For [tex]\frac{\pi}{3} < \theta <\frac{2\pi}{3} , \frac{dr}{d\theta}[/tex] is negative. What does this fact say about r? What does this fact say about the curve?

d. Find the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] in the interval [tex] 0 \le \theta \le \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] that corresponds to the point on the curve in the first quadrant with the greatest distance from the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [tex]1/2\int_{0}^{\pi }(\theta + sin2\theta)^2 d\theta}[/tex]

When I foil I end up with [tex] \theta^2 + 2\theta\sin2\theta + sin^2(2\theta)[/tex]

this is the part where I believe I made the mistake. I know the area is 4.9348 by the use of my calculator...if it is indeed correct...I can easily integrate the 1st and 3rd term...but i think the second term needs to be done by parts if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Parts should be ok to solve that. It's pretty straight forward. If you're familiar with the "ultra-violet voodoo" pneumonic, then let the [tex]\theta[/tex] term be the "doo" (du) part.

i seem to be having trouble doing the integration by parts

[tex] 2\theta\sin2\theta[/tex]

using uv - [tex]\int[/tex] vdu

u = 2[tex]\theta[/tex] dv = [tex]sin2\theta[/tex]
du = 2[tex]d\theta[/tex] v = [tex]\frac{-1}{2}cos2\theta[/tex]

[tex]-\theta\cos2\theta + 1/2sin2\theta[/tex]

the final integral from [tex] \theta^2 + 2\theta\sin2\theta + sin^2(2\theta)[/tex] becomes:

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\theta^3-\theta\cos2\theta+ 1/2sin2\theta + \frac{1 - cos4\theta}{2}[/tex]

from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
Try

[tex]u=2\theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow du=2d\theta[/tex]
[tex]v=\sin 2\theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow dv=-2\cos 2\theta[/tex]

Then plug into your expression of

[tex]uv-\int v du[/tex]

Don't forget to evaluate that first part with limits.

Last edited:
blather said:
Try

[tex]u=2\theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow du=2d\theta[/tex]
[tex]v=\sin 2\theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow dv=-2\cos 2\theta[/tex]

Then plug into your expression of

[tex]uv-\int v du[/tex]

Don't forget to evaluate that first part with limits.

i'm pretty sure dv = sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]

and its integral v = -1/2cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]

Yes, you're correct. But it is of no consequence because we don't need the differential of v.

Wait. Hang on. No.

[tex]dv=-(1/2)\cos 2\theta d\theta[/tex]

blather said:
Wait. Hang on. No.

[tex]dv=-(1/2)\cos 2\theta d\theta[/tex]

you set u to one part, and dv to another

du is the differential of u,

v is the integral of dv.

I'll work on this tomorrow...ahhhh so frustrating.

any help at integrating this?

[tex] 2\theta\sin2\theta[/tex]

What are polar equations and how are they different from Cartesian equations?

Polar equations are mathematical equations that use polar coordinates, which represent a point in a plane by its distance from the origin and its angle from the positive x-axis. They are different from Cartesian equations, which use rectangular coordinates (x and y values) to represent points in a plane.

What are some real-life applications of polar equations?

Polar equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and astronomy to describe circular or rotational motion, such as the orbits of planets and satellites. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in the design of mechanical and electrical systems.

How do you convert a polar equation to a Cartesian equation?

To convert a polar equation to a Cartesian equation, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)
where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis. These formulas can be used to find the x and y values for each point in the polar equation, which can then be plotted on a Cartesian plane.

What are the common methods for graphing polar equations?

There are several methods for graphing polar equations, including using a polar graphing calculator, manually plotting points using a table of values, or using a computer program. Another method is to convert the polar equation to a Cartesian equation and then graph it on a Cartesian plane.

How do you find the area bounded by a polar curve?

To find the area bounded by a polar curve, you can use the following formula:
A = (1/2) * ∫(b,a) [r(θ)]^2 dθ
where r(θ) is the polar equation and a and b are the starting and ending values of θ. This formula integrates the area under the polar curve between the given values of θ. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to find the area bounded by a polar curve.