Finding the Polar Equation of a Circular Orbit in a Central Force Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the polar equation of an orbit for a particle moving in a circular orbit in a central force field. The equation for the inverse radius of the orbit with respect to the angle is mentioned, and the speaker is asking for help understanding the steps to derive it. The equation is derived in Goldstein 3-34a and involves solving for 1/u and eliminating theta. The conversation ends with technical difficulties with the equation formatting.
mark9696
A particle moves on a circular orbit in a central force field. The origin of the force lies on the circle.

Find the polar equation of the orbit.

I am confused as to how to set up this question.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the equation for the invers radius of the orbit with respect to angle

[tex] {d^2u}\over {d/ \theta^2} + u = [/tex]

Can't work it right now, back later... anyway it is r^-5.

I need a few more steps to be explained. I am sure that if you could please explain them to me that I will get it.

Also, I ahve never sen that queation before. IS it derived somewhere on the net?

Are you saying that the polar equation is r^(-5)? I need some help here desparately.

Last edited:
My typing is bad, and it was late.

Start with Goldstein 3-34a,

[tex] \frac{d^2 u}{d\theta^2} + u = -\frac{m}{l^2u^2}f(1/u) [/tex]

My typing is bad, and it was late.

Start with Goldstein 3-34a,

[tex] \frac{d^2 u}{d\theta^2} + u = -\frac{m}{l^2u^2}f(1/u) [/tex]

set [tex] 1/u = 2acos\theta [/tex] and crank away. The answer should pop out when you eliminate the [tex] \theta [/tex].

For some reason, the \frac is not working...

I guess it did work in the final compile...

1. What is a polar equation?

A polar equation is a mathematical expression that relates the distance and angle of a point in a polar coordinate system. It is used to graph curves and shapes in a two-dimensional plane.

2. How is a polar equation different from a Cartesian equation?

A polar equation uses polar coordinates, which are based on a system of angles and distances from the origin, while a Cartesian equation uses rectangular coordinates, which are based on a system of x and y coordinates. In a polar equation, the distance from the origin is represented by the variable r, and the angle is represented by the variable θ.

3. How do you sketch a polar equation?

To sketch a polar equation, you first need to plot points on a polar coordinate system by substituting values of θ into the equation and solving for r. Then, you can connect the points to create a curve or shape. You may also need to adjust the scale of the axes to ensure that the graph fits on the page.

4. What is a polar equation in the form of r = f(θ)?

A polar equation in the form of r = f(θ) represents a curve with a fixed distance from the origin at a given angle θ. This type of equation is useful for graphing circles, ellipses, and other symmetric shapes.

5. How do you convert a Cartesian equation to a polar equation?

To convert a Cartesian equation to a polar equation, you can use the following formulas:
x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). Substitute these values into the Cartesian equation and simplify to get the polar equation in terms of r and θ.