1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar form of complex numbers

1. Apr 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    well this is not exactly a homework, i had an argument whith my teacher about my grade in a test, because i put a complex number in the form of R,theta and she claims that the form was costheta+isentheta, and i know that but i need to prove in a book that r,theta=costheta+isentheta

2. The attempt at a solution
    she ditnt request, a solution or demostration just if someone knows a book about the fact, please help me, the matter is from a very good grade to a failure grade so this is important, thank you

i truly believe i am right but the teacher want to screw me really bad and asked for evidence in a book

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The correct equality would be r⋅e = r⋅(cos(θ)+i sin(θ)).
    I'm not sure exactly what you were asked for on the test.

4. Apr 4, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

r,theta=costheta+isentheta makes no sense. As @FactChecker already said, the correct identity is ##re^{i\theta} = r(\cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta))##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted