1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar molecule

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    A diatomic molecule XY that contains a polar bond must be a polar molecule. A triatomic molecule XY2 that contains a polar bond does not necessarily form a polar molecule. I need some examples of real molecules to help me explain the difference.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at CO2

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    concentration of hydrogen ions

oops...posted wrong message:(

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    so you are saying to look at CO2 as an example?

6. Mar 26, 2008 #5

That's what he/she said.

7. Mar 26, 2008 #6
    so I guess my question should become a little more specific...can someone tell me how (or give me a website) CO2 demonstates this?!

8. Mar 26, 2008 #7
    Look at CO2, compare it to H2O.

9. Mar 27, 2008 #8
    CO2 = :O::C::O:

H2O = H::O::H

So I compared them this way, but am I using the right method for this problem? I know that H2O is a polar covalent bonds forming a polar covalent molecule. But carbon is my center in CO2, not oxygen as it is in H2O. Help:(

edit: my dots are suppose to be over the carbon to represent non bonded pairs...

10. Mar 27, 2008 #9
    hint: CO2 is linear and H2O is bent

a molecule is polar when it has a side with a partial negative charge and the opposite side with a partial positive charge.

try to locate these partial charges on the molecules.

11. Mar 27, 2008 #10
    H2O does not have any double bonds, BTW; its electron distribution is why it's a different shape to CO2 (as Kushal pointed out). Only vaguely related to the question, but an important concept.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?