Understanding Polar Molecules: Examples of XY and XY2

In summary, a diatomic molecule XY containing a polar bond is always a polar molecule. However, a triatomic molecule XY2 with a polar bond may not necessarily be polar. Examples such as CO2 and H2O can be used to demonstrate this difference, with CO2 being linear and non-polar while H2O is bent and polar due to its electron distribution.
bjoyful
A diatomic molecule XY that contains a polar bond must be a polar molecule. A triatomic molecule XY2 that contains a polar bond does not necessarily form a polar molecule. I need some examples of real molecules to help me explain the difference.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at CO2

concentration of hydrogen ions

oops...posted wrong message:(

Last edited:
so you are saying to look at CO2 as an example?

bjoyful said:
so you are saying to look at CO2 as an example?

That's what he/she said.

so I guess my question should become a little more specific...can someone tell me how (or give me a website) CO2 demonstates this?!

Look at CO2, compare it to H2O.

CO2 = :O::C::O:

H2O = H::O::H

So I compared them this way, but am I using the right method for this problem? I know that H2O is a polar covalent bonds forming a polar covalent molecule. But carbon is my center in CO2, not oxygen as it is in H2O. Help:(

edit: my dots are suppose to be over the carbon to represent non bonded pairs...

hint: CO2 is linear and H2O is bent

a molecule is polar when it has a side with a partial negative charge and the opposite side with a partial positive charge.

try to locate these partial charges on the molecules.

H2O does not have any double bonds, BTW; its electron distribution is why it's a different shape to CO2 (as Kushal pointed out). Only vaguely related to the question, but an important concept.

1. What is a polar molecule?

A polar molecule is a molecule that has a slightly positive charge on one end and a slightly negative charge on the other end. This occurs when the electrons are not evenly shared between the atoms in the molecule, creating a separation of charges.

2. What are some examples of polar molecules?

Some examples of polar molecules include water (H2O), ammonia (NH3), and hydrogen chloride (HCl).

3. How can you determine the polarity of a molecule?

The polarity of a molecule can be determined by looking at the electronegativity difference between the atoms in the molecule. If the difference is greater than 0.4, the molecule is considered polar.

4. Can a molecule with only two atoms be polar?

Yes, a molecule with only two atoms can be polar if there is a difference in electronegativity between the two atoms. For example, HCl is a polar molecule because chlorine is more electronegative than hydrogen.

5. What is the difference between XY and XY2 molecules in terms of polarity?

In XY molecules, the atoms are bonded in a linear shape with an electronegativity difference, making it polar. In XY2 molecules, the atoms are bonded in a bent or angular shape, resulting in a nonpolar molecule even if there is a difference in electronegativity between the atoms.