1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar or nonpolar?

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm assuming that CS2 is a nonpolar molecule and Al2S3 is a polar molecule. Would I be correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2
    If there is a homework problem in back of this, please post there. Otherwise, please explain what you are basing your assumptions on, especially in the case of the aluminum compound. Unless you are speaking about exotic chemistry, assuming Al2S3 is a molecule is unjustified. In the solid state, Al occupies the tetrahedral holes of the HCP sulfide "ions", but may do this is a regular fashion, many allotropes are known.

4. May 26, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your reply.

I'm just trying to figure out the intermolecular forces of the mentioned molecules. I'm guessing that the CS2 molecule has a transient dipole since it's nonpolar and that Al2S3 forms a dipole-dipole force between molecules if it's a polar molecule. Any clarification would be great.

Thanks.

5. May 26, 2014 #4

Qube

Gold Member

Molecules can have dipoles and yet be non-polar. For example, carbon dioxide has two permanent dipoles yet it is non-polar.

6. May 27, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You were already told there is most likely no such thing as Al2S3 molecule.

Just like there is no NaCl molecule.

7. May 27, 2014 #6
    The question I was answering was concerned with the intermolecular forces between aluminium sulfide Al2S3 so I assumed such ionic compounds to exist. Thanks.

8. May 27, 2014 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ionic compounds don't have typical molecules. This is what we are trying to tell you from the very first post.

9. May 27, 2014 #8
    Yes I understand. I should have used the term ionic compound from the beginning to avoid any confusion. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted